Found At Hungry Hollow Aug 26/2013 - What Can It Be?

lmacfadden

Found this today at the Creek on Fossil Road at Hungry Hollow.

Can someone tell me what this might be (largest item at the top of the image)?? I can post a few more images of it if needed. It measures about 3" X 4"

I appreciate your help!!

post-11011-0-86930900-1377567739_thumb.jpg post-11011-0-52914500-1377567890_thumb.jpg post-11011-0-94283800-1377568323_thumb.jpg

Edited by lmacfadden

~Lise MacFadden - Arkona, Ontario, Canada

Hard to tell... but I'd guess waterworn coral on some manner of substrate. That tributary has a large volume of flow in the spring.

Hard to tell... but I'd guess waterworn coral on some manner of substrate. That tributary has a large volume of flow in the spring.

This summer has been such a learning experience! It's such a "newbie" thing to do to see much more than what is actually there. But I really do appreciate all the feedback I get on this forum. Thanks for your help!

First picture looks like Gryphea (Oyster shells), and gastropod (snail). The last one looks like what people call "devils toenail" also an Oyster shell.

We find many similar to this in Texas. Examples see www.txfossils.com and click Oysters.

Thanks for your help in advance.

First picture looks like Gryphea (Oyster shells), and gastropod (snail). The last one looks like what people call "devils toenail" also an Oyster shell.

We find many similar to this in Texas. Examples see www.txfossils.com and click Oysters.

Extremely helpful! I saw the examples on the site... oy, I just turned up my top lip as if I was walking through the grand ball room and just smelled cauliflower. Ha ha, devil's toenails are disgusting and wildly interesting. :P

The large gastropod in the first pic is a Platyceras. EDIT: ( NOT devils toenails, or Gryphaea. Those are from the Jurassic to Cretaceous, and we are dealing with the Devonian here.)

The one on the bottom right of that pic may be a Platyceras as well.

Not sure about the one in the middle, or the smaller item in the upper left.

I would agree that the second pic looks like some kind of coral.

Too hard to tell what it may be, though.

Neat finds. Lise.

Regards,

Edited by Fossildude19

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

The large gastropod in the first pic is a Platyceras. EDIT: ( NOT devils toenails, or Gryphaea. Those are from the Jurassic to Cretaceous, and we are dealing with the Devonian here.)

Neat finds. Lise.

Regards,

Thanks for the info. I'm relieved! Don't really want any devil's anything. Ha ha. Smaller item on the upper left is a blastoid. I try to find at least one each time I am at the pits. Then I can go home.

post-11011-0-53021000-1377622218_thumb.jpg

Neat finds. Lise.

Regards,

As for the "some kind of coral" I was hoping it was more than that because of the interesting pattern, which is likely just a random one. I was hoping for some type of star-fish-like creature.

post-11011-0-40891900-1377622533_thumb.jpg

Good call, Middevonian! :)

Lise,

I can see where you could get that idea from. :)

I think without further prep, it's going to be close to impossible to figure out just what it is.

Not sure if Devonian starfish got quite that big, either. :unsure:

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Good call, Middevonian! :)

Lise,

I can see where you could get that idea from. :)

I think without further prep, it's going to be close to impossible to figure out just what it is.

Not sure if Devonian starfish got quite that big, either. :unsure:

Regards,

Thanks Fossildude19 and Middevonian - I'm enjoying cataloging and labeling my fossils correctly!

I concur with the Devonian ID's . But the fish is more impressive in your picture. Is that a walleye? If so nice one. :wub:

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

I concur with the Devonian ID's . But the fish is more impressive in your picture. Is that a walleye? If so nice one. :wub:

Thanks Herb. Yes! That's a walleye (pickerel) - about a 22" which is a good size in the small Northern Lakes of Ontario. Pretty sure I had him for lunch that day! :)

post-11011-0-97459000-1383522831_thumb.jpg

Edited by lmacfadden

Excellent! :D

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

• 2 months later...