Something From The Edwards Formation

Thought Containment

Hi guys...

Newbie here, but I've done some homework. My back yard, which is located in Northwestern Williamson County, about an hour NW of Austin, Texas is littered with fossils, no digging necessary. I believe this puts me in the lower Cretaceous sediments of the Edwards Formation. I have a bunch of things I'd like to run by y'all. I'll start with this type, which are everywhere. I'm guessing these are oysters, perhaps Trigonia? This is the nicest one I've found so far:

post-13014-0-68286600-1377709352_thumb.jpg

And the reverse side:

post-13014-0-49663700-1377709355_thumb.jpg

Thanks;

TC

Oyster, yes, but Lopha me thinks.

Welcome to the Forum!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Ceratostrean, Walnut fm? Chondrodonta is more typical of the Edwards.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Thanks for the interactive map, JohnJ. Based on where I am on that map, I think I'm in the Glen Rose FM. I'm north of SR29, west of SR183, east of the Burnet/Williamson county line and south of the San Gabriel river. Does that change the ID?

--TC

Not really. Ceratostrean sp. oysters are found throughout the Walnut Fm. and in the Upper Glen Rose Fm. of your area. It may be C. weatherfordensis based on the photos in Finsley's A Field Guide To Fossils Of Texas.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ