Tuscon Show

TheFossilHunter

That's an interesting tidbit. The area I visit is right along the border. I don't think I have been more than 300 meters from the U.S. border and the area was very safe. The scariest thing I saw was the grumpy looking Mexican Federales with machine guns. I was in Juarez earlier this year and the atmosphere in that town was not at all friendly.

the perception of an area as safe is rarely based on actual knowledge of true crime levels. even if you had all reported crime "stats", in some places much crime goes unreported for obvious reasons. the current "crackdown" in mexico on drug trafficking has in part led to more kidnappings as a side business. a kidnapping expert from here was down there a few days back teaching officials how to deal with kidnappings, and he was kidnapped. last i heard, no word on his status...

ALWAYS read state department information (situation reports) on where you're going before traveling abroad.

there are places i want to go in mexico, but it isn't going to happen. i feel bad for the decent people there. it breaks my heart how messed up it is now.

ok so I just booked a hotel from Jan 30 thru feb 3 for $67 per night including tax. i think its not bad for this time of year. did quite a research on the web before i found this price. everything else is more expensive. if anyone needs hotel info i can give it to you, they might still have rooms at this price. cant wait to go!

ok so I just booked a hotel from Jan 30 thru feb 3 for $67 per night including tax. i think its not bad for this time of year. did quite a research on the web before i found this price. everything else is more expensive. if anyone needs hotel info i can give it to you, they might still have rooms at this price. cant wait to go!

Alright , glad you are going to make it we are stoked as well , good luck have fun be safe and take tons of pictures .

Hunting fossils is fun , but discovering is better !

Sounds like quite a few folks will be going. The first time I went was 16 years ago and it has never disappointed since. The Innsuites hotel is definitely the largest hotel for fossils. They also have several phenomenal displays and booths in the ballroom of the hotel set up. Personally I'm going with the purpose to buy, but many people meet there to trade as well.

Marcel.

Sounds like quite a few folks will be going...Marcel.

If we can get our Forum T-shirts in time (hint hint Anson) we could recognize each other and be a presence... :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Sounds like quite a few folks will be going. The first time I went was 16 years ago and it has never disappointed since. The Innsuites hotel is definitely the largest hotel for fossils. They also have several phenomenal displays and booths in the ballroom of the hotel set up. Personally I'm going with the purpose to buy, but many people meet there to trade as well.

Marcel.

I have things to trade but they are heavy - not sure I am up for carrying them in. What are the hottest types o fossils one could trade in Tucson, does anyone know?

If we can get our Forum T-shirts in time (hint hint Anson) we could recognize each other and be a presence... :)

+1

Hunting fossils is fun , but discovering is better !

I have things to trade but they are heavy - not sure I am up for carrying them in. What are the hottest types o fossils one could trade in Tucson, does anyone know?

Shark teeth are high up on the list for trading, but I've always had the most success if I contact people before the show so I meet them there.

The only thing to be careful with is that show management does not allow any unauthorized selling of teeth (meaning you can only sell if you have a room in one of their hotels).

Shark teeth are high up on the list for trading, but I've always had the most success if I contact people before the show so I meet them there.

The only thing to be careful with is that show management does not allow any unauthorized selling of teeth (meaning you can only sell if you have a room in one of their hotels).

Fortunately ( or unfortunately) I don't have any shark's teeth. I am supprised they allow unauthorized selling of other fossils??

• 2 weeks later...

If I can talk my wife into letting me go, I will be staying at the pepper corn/sauce campground. I havent been to this show for a number of years. I am wondering where the Innsuites is located. I also used to go to the tool tent on Ajo Way, and am wondering if its still there?

RB

Marcel.

the innsuites is on grnada and st. mary's on the south side of speedway. right next to the freeway.

it is also where themajority of the fossils can be found

brock

Thank you Brock.

RB

the innsuites is on grnada and st. mary's on the south side of speedway. right next to the freeway.

it is also where themajority of the fossils can be found

brock

Welp,,,, Im now struting around like a proud peacock with feathers ablazing and saying things like, "who's da man, thats right, im da man"!!! My wife just said she doesnt mind if I leave for a few days. Im planning on being at the peppercorn campground on the evening of the 26th. Now I cant wait. Lots of planning to do.

RB

Does anybody know where the Ramada inn is located? I think it used to be called LaQuinta? Im still looking for the tool tent too. Thanks.

RB

I was going through some photos to find a certain one for the misses and came across this one. Its my middle son and I at Peppercorn campground several years ago during the Tucson show. We had 3 days of this white stuff!!! Got a bit old.

RB

Snow.bmp

dang! that picture loaded from the bottom up!? but hey, i have nothing but admiration for those who camp in snow. that is why i stay out of their way and let them have their space.

Its almost hard to respond to anything at the moment. Listening to Dean Martin, Frank Sanatra, Patsy Cline, Etta James, Wayne Newton, Brenda Lee and lots of other really good stuff!!! All I need now is a realy good cigar!!! Im goig to Tucson man. WooooooHooooooo!!! I cant fegin wait!!! But hey, Im the guy who always complains about huge files and there I go loading up a huge file.

RB

dang! that picture loaded from the bottom up!? but hey, i have nothing but admiration for those who camp in snow. that is why i stay out of their way and let them have their space.

it makes no sense to me that they hold that show when kids are in school. i'd like to go but can't even consider it without my trusty sidekick. i'm agile - he's stealthy.

Im sorry to hear that fella. I always waited for school to be out before the family and I went on our annual camping/fossil trip!!! But my kids are alot older now and only one is left home, and he is the fossil hunting one so this is gunna be a really good trip. So sorry that you cant make it. Would be super neat to meet you and your son. I wish you could be listining go the music im listening too and having the time im having right now!! Life cant get much better man!!!

RB

it makes no sense to me that they hold that show when kids are in school. i'd like to go but can't even consider it without my trusty sidekick. i'm agile - he's stealthy.

RJB,

Have you ever looked around the limestone that crops out in the Peppersauce area? According to the documentation I have (A A Stoyanow, 1936) there are trilobites in the Abrigo there, but I've never been able to find them. I have found some nice brachiopods and corals in the Mississipian and Devonian beds just up the creek from the campground. Peppersauce cave is about 5 miles up the Mt. Lemon road, it's an easy cave to visit, but due to its close proximity to civilization, its a bit trashed. Still a nice adventure if you have never visited an undeveloped cave. It will be 70 degrees inside no matter how cold it is outside. I always enjoy visiting that area, there is a lot to see and do.

Best of Luck,

Walt

Some Photos from the Peppersauce area....

Hello walt. Just a 1/8 mile or so before you get to the turn to the camp, there are some ancient corals, but hard to find, if you go past the intrance to the campground to the next valley, you can find the super old fish, sharks teeth and corals. All ive found up the dry creek was fossil traces of trails and stuff.

Rb

RJB,

Have you ever looked around the limestone that crops out in the Peppersauce area? According to the documentation I have (A A Stoyanow, 1936) there are trilobites in the Abrigo there, but I've never been able to find them. I have found some nice brachiopods and corals in the Mississipian and Devonian beds just up the creek from the campground. Peppersauce cave is about 5 miles up the Mt. Lemon road, it's an easy cave to visit, but due to its close proximity to civilization, its a bit trashed. Still a nice adventure if you have never visited an undeveloped cave. It will be 70 degrees inside no matter how cold it is outside. I always enjoy visiting that area, there is a lot to see and do.

Best of Luck,

Walt

Some Photos from the Peppersauce area....

• 4 weeks later...

I too like to go there for this event but had some doubt about the traffic and the hotel fare.Now i got an idea for my trip.Thanks for sharing your experience.But whether Tuscon is better or i can you tel me some other better way.

--------------------------------

gomez

Camping

Archived