Concretion Or Some Kind Of Fossil?

AJ Plai

Is this a concretion or a fossil of some kind? This was found locally in Thailand and someone sent a pic for me to look at and try to ID it. Looking at the pics It looks like a concretion to me but I cant be 100% sure:

post-10857-0-27176300-1378017217_thumb.pngpost-10857-0-22156300-1378017233_thumb.png

What do other people think?

Definitely a concretion (concentric layers are the tell), but that is not to say that it did not have a biologic origin.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I have zero knowledge about concretion or geology for that matter so this might be a very noob question, but a concretion isn't just a form of mineral or rock? When u say "biologic origin" does that mean its from a living organism like a plant or creature or something? But wouldn't that technically make it a fossil?

Thx. :)

The basic process by which a concretion forms is not biological (though it can be initiated or aided by the decomposition of organic material), but concretions sometimes form around a nucleus of organic remains, and sometimes those remains are preserved in a recognizable fashion, if revealed by splitting the concretion (assuming the break follow the plane of the fossil).

• I found this Informative 1

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thank u for the info Auspex :)

Great to have a community like this where u can learn new things everyday from experts and enthusiasts alike from all over the world. :)