Soft Bodied Fossil?

Roz

I am not even sure it's a fossil but it's shape doesn't seem random to me. I have

never found any soft bodied fossils before that I am aware of so I am not sure..

Pennsylvanian Period, Texas (Images are of both sides of the nodule)..

post-13-0-87964700-1378065811_thumb.jpg

post-13-0-80455800-1378065866_thumb.jpg

post-13-0-51413200-1378065886_thumb.jpg

post-13-0-10718300-1378065908_thumb.jpg

post-13-0-74035100-1378065941_thumb.jpg

post-13-0-12639100-1378065978_thumb.jpg

post-13-0-53338600-1378066000_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the forum!

Hi Roz,

How about a chiton?

Chiton.jpg

Debrock, M.D., Hoare, R.D., & Mapes, R.H. (1984)

Pennsylvanian (Desmoinesian) Polyplacophora (Mollusca) from Texas.

Journal of Paleontology 58(4)1117-1135

• I found this Informative 1

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

There's something pretty interesting going on there...I wonder whether the real nucleus hasn't been exposed yet, and what we see is diagenetic?

Is it maybe not split through the center yet?

post-423-0-46122300-1378067243_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Hmmm ... Could these just be septarian cracks?

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."

-- Terry Pratchett

Roz, I have to note that the "segments" do not go edge-to-edge:

post-423-0-18762100-1378075712_thumb.jpg

Were it a chiton, I think they would.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Roz, I have to note that the "segments" do not go edge-to-edge:

~~.JPG

Were it a chiton, I think they would.

Here is another chiton fossil and the segmentation does not extend to the margins.

post-4301-0-61338600-1378076455_thumb.jpg

Scott, with respect, the segments in the image you attached do go edge to edge, especially the middle segment. I'm not conviced this is a chiton at all.

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."

-- Terry Pratchett

To me, the "segments" in Roz's find look like cracks, too irregular to be much else.

...the segments in the image you attached do go edge to edge, especially the middle segment.

On the left side they go to the edge, the right side not so much. I'm not arguing about chiton morphology only making the point that the nodule was split with an irregular fracture and might be obscuring some of the features.

This image in particular looks like septarian cracking to me. Cracks like these form through syneresis of the nodule during compaction of the hosting shale. They are common in siderite nodules and are described in most references to Mazon Creek nodule formation. I hope I'm wrong though as a chiton would be cool.

post-7497-0-35693200-1378077201_thumb.jpg

Edited by AgrilusHunter
  • I found this Informative 1

-- Terry Pratchett

Hi Folks, I don't know if it is appropriate to post this here (new member) so please excuse me if it is not. I am pretty much ignorant of fossils although I have been picking up fossils since first grade.

After reading this I.D. thread and alot of others I just had to say THANK YOU to everyone on this Fossil Forum. You folks always treat everyone with respect no matter how much they know or don't know. I use fossil I.D. to try to learn a few things! WONDERFUL SITE AND WONDERFUL PEOPLE!

Thank you all,

Jed '06

Thanks for your help everyone.. I already have septarian nodules so would rather it

be a chiton but looks like I need to continue to search to find one! :P:)

On two areas the slits look like thin plates so septarian makes sense now..

Jed, welcome to the forum and you are right.. This forum is as good as its members

and we have the best! :1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76:

Welcome to the forum!

Hi Folks, I don't know if it is appropriate to post this here (new member) so please excuse me if it is not. I am pretty much ignorant of fossils although I have been picking up fossils since first grade.

After reading this I.D. thread and alot of others I just had to say THANK YOU to everyone on this Fossil Forum. You folks always treat everyone with respect no matter how much they know or don't know. I use fossil I.D. to try to learn a few things! WONDERFUL SITE AND WONDERFUL PEOPLE!

Thank you all,

Jed '06

Hi Jed welcome to the forum this site is the best and the people here are as you say respectful and friendly

Hope you find some fossils to show us good luck

best regards Chris

"A man who stares at a rock must have a lot on his mind... or nothing at all'

Thanks for your help everyone.. I already have septarian nodules so would rather it

be a chiton but looks like I need to continue to search to find one! :P:)

On two areas the slits look like thin plates so septarian makes sense now..

Jed, welcome to the forum and you are right.. This forum is as good as its members

and we have the best! :1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76:

Hi Roz hope you find that chiton soon too

best regards

Chris

"A man who stares at a rock must have a lot on his mind... or nothing at all'