Blastoids - Hungry Hollow - Sept 1

lmacfadden

Spent a few wonderful hours in Hungry Hollow today! Found numerous interesting specimens in the South Pit, 2 of which are these awesome Blastoids! I never get tired of finding these and I make it my goal to find at least one each time I am there. I did not find one the last time I was there but to make up for that, today I found 2!

I searched the UMMP image archive to help me identify them but I can only accurately identify one of them.

Devonoblastus whiteavesi (on the left)

post-11011-0-89261200-1378080570_thumb.jpg

Can someone help me identify this one??

post-11011-0-65999500-1378080598_thumb.jpg post-11011-0-39551300-1378080622_thumb.jpg note the star design on the basal

Edited by lmacfadden

~Lise MacFadden - Arkona, Ontario, Canada

wow those are some nicely-preserved blastoids :D

I should make them some part of my objectives next time...my Hungry Hollow collection is notably devoid of blastoids (though there's still a LOT of unprepared stuff in the basement that might house some interesting finds...I found a small trilobite pygidium yesterday morning while working on a relatively "empty" chunk of clay from the north pit).

wow those are some nicely-preserved blastoids :D

I should make them some part of my objectives next time...my Hungry Hollow collection is notably devoid of blastoids (though there's still a LOT of unprepared stuff in the basement that might house some interesting finds...I found a small trilobite pygidium yesterday morning while working on a relatively "empty" chunk of clay from the north pit).

Thanks! You really should Regg - I have found 12 Blastoids (6 different species - mostly in the South Pit) this year alone!

I'll post a photo of the rest of my finds after I get them cleaned up!

Those are pretty darn cool!

Thank you redleaf101 - I thoroughly enjoy the hunt for blastoids. It takes a keen eye and lots of patience!

Thanks! You really should Regg - I have found 12 Blastoids (6 different species - mostly in the South Pit) this year alone!

I'll post a photo of the rest of my finds after I get them cleaned up!

Here are the rest of today's finds. Not too spectacular but interesting nonetheless. Most are from the South Pit.

1 post-11011-0-08011400-1378091270_thumb.jpg A scattering of today's finds.

2 post-11011-0-59599000-1378091288_thumb.jpg Mostly Gastropods and a few Tornoceras

3 post-11011-0-61018100-1378091298_thumb.jpg A nice large Gastropod

4 post-11011-0-24996900-1378091309_thumb.jpg Pyritized Tornoceras and I think there is a Crinoid calyx embedded in there

5 post-11011-0-57781100-1378091320_thumb.jpg Some neat little Crinoid plates

6 post-11011-0-40287700-1378091374_thumb.jpg Crinoid pieces and stems

7 post-11011-0-58026500-1378091383_thumb.jpg Coral

8 post-11011-0-09818300-1378091394_thumb.jpg I picked this up because I thought it looked like a beat up old golf bag with a broken club

9 post-11011-0-30418400-1378091406_thumb.jpg Assorted pieces of Coral - also Bryozoa and Stromatoporid (top right and rightmost)

10 post-11011-0-36020800-1378091473_thumb.jpg Assorted Brachiopods and a few Pelecypods

Edited by lmacfadden

I believe the blastoid in question is a Hyperoblastus cummingsi. I should also add that it occurs in the Hungry Hollow Member of the Widder Formation.

- the second photo contains mostly gastropods and a few Tornoceras

- third photo is a gastropod

- I can't discern the fourth photo

- seventh photo are of coral (Cladopora and Trachypora I believe)

- ninth photo includes a few coral...

- from what I can make out there's also bryozoa and stromatoporid (top right and rightmost)

- hard to tell if that is fish plate.

- last photo has two pelecypod near the bottom

Edited by middevonian

I believe the blastoid in question is a Hyperoblastus cummingsi. I should also add that it occurs in the Hungry Hollow Member of the Widder Formation.

- the second photo contains mostly gastropods and a few Tornoceras

- third photo is a gastropod

- I can't discern the fourth photo

- seventh photo are of coral (Cladopora and Trachypora I believe)

- ninth photo includes a few coral...

- from what I can make out there's also bryozoa and stromatoporid (top right and rightmost)

- hard to tell if that is fish plate.

- last photo has two pelecypod near the bottom

Thanks for your help Darrel!

Awesome finds! Nice brachiopods, crinoids and blastoids!

Nice finds! A Blastoid a day keeps the doctor away... :D

Thanks a bunch MakoMeCrazy and Ludwigia!

• 2 months later...

Howdy!

I've found this content only now.. These Blastoids are lovely :wub:
How rare are such findings in this area?

Best regards,
Nils

Howdy!

I've found this content only now.. These Blastoids are lovely :wub:

How rare are such findings in this area?

Best regards,

Nils

Thanks Nils. I'm told they are not terribly rare (though some types of blastoids are in fact very rare), however, I do know some fossil hunters who have searched in HH for several years and never found a single blastoid, and most people who do find them will only have a small number of them in their personal collection! So, you need to have a keen eye and a lot of patience to find them since they are usually very small. It's so exciting when you do find them!

Size doesn´t matter. I've got a crush on small things ;)

In Germany there are only 5 (or maybe 6?) species of blastoids known from the middle devonian. They´re all rare.

But if you spot the right pit, you can find dozens of them. Unfortunately we´re depending on building activities here ...

Thanks for information!

I am not sure I have seen something like the blastoid (formerly) in question. Great find!

I like crinoids......