$30 Rolling Specimen Cart

Bev

post-9628-0-84136900-1378258359_thumb.jpg

I have 3 of these and LOVE them! Less than $30 on sale, which they come on sale regularly. Six drawers and each easily fits a <$3 specimen box. Discussion on that here:

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/39084-specimen-box-3/

You can stack them! Just don't put the wheels on one and use either/and glue and screws and you now have a 12 drawer rolling specimen chest! I'm 5'5" and can easily see into even the top drawer.

post-9628-0-07873100-1378258609_thumb.jpg

Here is a drawer with a <$3 specimen box in it.

WARNING: These are also fabulous for sewing, crafts, rolling desks and shop tables, so if you bring it home you may lose it!

Bev :)

The more I learn, I realize the less I know.

:wacko:

Go to my

Gallery for images of Fossil Jewelry, Sculpture & Crafts

Pinned Posts:

Any big box store should have them. I picked two up from Fleet Farm and one from Alco. I put a pic of the box on so that people, if interested, could do a search. :) They really are great! You can't even buy a little rolling tool box for that!

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

Those look pretty nice Bev. Can you post a picture of yours assembled? Also I'd like to see what kind of rollers, or frame it has that allows the drawers to be pulled out.

Ramo

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

Alrighty then, here are the construction pics of the cart. :)

post-9628-0-74084100-1378405205_thumb.jpg

Note how without the wheel, the cart can be easily glued and screwed onto another cart top - invisible fastening.

post-9628-0-63412000-1378405272_thumb.jpg

Drawer slides are sturdy and almost unbreakable.

post-9628-0-54735500-1378405513_thumb.jpg post-9628-0-61125600-1378405549_thumb.jpg post-9628-0-55410500-1378405576_thumb.jpg

Wheels aren't bad for the money.

The price is the catcher for me on this cart and its availability - buy almost anyplace. The finish is very neutral, but you could also paint it. If I did that I would degloss, prime with oil and paint in an oil gloss - black. They would then match all of my other tool boxes. But I like woodtones too...

These drawers do not need handles, but if you had junk fossils to match what you are storing, a fossil glued onto the front of each drawer would be oh so cool!

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

post-9628-0-05164800-1378750721_thumb.jpg post-9628-0-66792200-1378750759_thumb.jpg

Here are two of the carts put together into one specimen cabinet. $60 and you have 4 wheels left to put on whatever. I just put 4 screws in the bottom of the top one into the top of the bottom one (drill pilot holes first).

Twelve Drawers

Approximately 50 inches high, 16 inches deep and 13 inches wide. Will roll about anywhere.

Edited by Bev

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

Nice!

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

• 3 weeks later...

I'm trapped in the house with a bad cold and I thought you would like to see how this is turning out...

post-9628-0-87958000-1380481766_thumb.jpg

post-9628-0-33085200-1380481797_thumb.jpg

So I have labeled the drawers with self-adhesive business card holders. They easily reposition if you don't get them right the first time. They are about $5 for 10 at Office Max. I printed the labels that slip inside on parchment cardstock and cut them out.. I have more than a few "senior moments" and like to have a picture to go with the name. :-D

I've got yards of this old grass carpet with a rubber backing laying around as I use it for my fairy gardens, in the garden to reduce weeds, etc. I've been cutting it up to fit in the drawers and specimen holders - they are $1.99 not on sale at Hobby Lobby. Glueing it into the holders - cushions the fossils and reduces slipping.

post-9628-0-60878800-1380482107_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bev
  • I found this Informative 1

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

This is great! Thanks for posting.

You are very welcome!

The one thing that I can say that will make the drawers a bit better is to put a bead of glue around them. They are fine as it, but it would make the edges easier to clean.

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

Bev,

$69.93 shipped to DE in less than a week from Fleetfarm.com.

Very easy to construct.

Can't wait to start filling them with the nice fossils I have languishing in shoeboxes under my bed!

Thanks again.

Greg

PS: Explain the bit about the glue on the drawers? Thanks.

post-12990-0-09144000-1380901915_thumb.jpg

They look very nice Greg! Boy, did you ever assemble those quickly!

I have found the drawers to be easier to clean and a bit more sturdy if I just put a line of wood glue along them and smooth the glue with my finger. Let it dry thoroughly. My guess is that you could even use Elmer's Glue which dries clear or silicone caulk. You could do it top and bottom if you have a drawer that is a bit "floppy".

My fossils tend to be gritty and shed sand. But if you are doing say shark's teeth, that wouldn't be a factor.

Also, since the drawer bottoms are very smooth, things tend to slid around in them, hence why I put cushions in them of material I had around. Cabinet drawer liners would work and are available at most any dollar store.

Some of my drawers I use my specimen boxes in, some I don't because my fossils are too large.

Those Office Max self-adhesive business card holders or oh so sharp with labels you can just print on your computer!

I love my set up! Once you are using yours let us know if you have any improvements to add!

• I found this Informative 1

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

I understand what you're saying about the glue now. That sounds like a good idea.

A trip to an office store and the craft store are on the schedule for this afternoon.

Will let you know if I come up with any other helpful mods :)

Thanks,

Greg

Hey Greg,

Take pictures when your done labeling and arranging your fossils and post them here to inspire us all!

You know Greg, I think when you consider gas you actually paid less than I did for your chests!

Edited by Bev

Go to my

Pinned Posts: