Folkestone Uk Ammonite And Others

ViridianFish

Hi Everyone,

This is my first ever post, and I just wanted to let you all know that I am new to fossil hunting, but enjoy it very much. It is quite difficult for me to do on a regular basis as I live in an area of Australia that has very few interesting geological deposits, and is very low in available fossils.

On a recent trip to the Uk I visited Folkestone, but as it was the middle of summer at the time, there was very little recent exposure at the base of the cliffs due to lack of rainfall. I know nothing I found here is particularly impressive, but I would love to know exactly what they are.

They were all found in the Gualt Clay or on the foreshore.

I'm thinking the Ammonite could be either a Euhoplites lautus or an ahoplites planus. It is around 2.3cm in diameter.

Ammonite.jpg

The first Belemnite Guard is almost exactly 3cm in length.

Belemnite.jpg

• The small belemnite is 2cm. I think it is a Neohibolite.

Neohibolite #2.jpg

Neohibolite.jpg

• Finally, a tiny ammonite. It is only around 0.8cm in diameter. I found a few of these.

Tiny ammonite.jpg

• I can take more photos in better lighting if needed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Thanks,

• Alice

Another Aussie member, yes! Welcome to the forum.

Those are really cool finds. Funnily enough I am heading up to that area in about 10 weeks to find exactly the same stuff. I am not sure of exact species ID's though- the only fossils i have ever found come from here in Australia.

No fossils where you are huh? I used to think exactly the same thing. If you live in or near Sydney, i know quite a number of fossil localities that you could visit. Just drop me PM if you wish.

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

Hello and welcome !!

Here a link that could help you : http://www.gaultammonite.co.uk/

A very helpfull website about folkestone and gault ammonite. It hepled me a lot to id my specimens.

About the first ammonite, I don't think it's a Euhoplites lautus, may be you can put some other photos with a different angle to help.

For the tiny ammonite, it's very difficult to know exactly (probably young Anahoplites)

• I found this Informative 1