Sign in to follow this  
Auspex

10" "meg" On Ebay

Auspex

I don't know whether this seller is just woefully uninformed, or a rip-off artist hoping for a sap.

Either way, he is an example of the worst of Ebay.

Link to listing: http://cgi.ebay.com/REAL-MEGLADON-TOOTH-10...A1%7C240%3A1318

Metopocetus

Interesting

mommabetts

I don't know what to say, but it will upset a bunch of divers I bet you. I didn't know Tennesee was known for very large MEGS, am I missing something?

CreekCrawler
:rofl:

MikeD

And to think, I've been kicking those aside all these years.

Auspex
I don't know what to say, but it will upset a bunch of divers I bet you. I didn't know Tennesee was known for very large MEGS, am I missing something?

Not a lot of marine Miocene in TN; no megs. It's a rock.

Guest bmorefossil

well you would think he was the worst ever but then again look at the price, if this guy has what he thinks he has then he is selling this thing way under, but its not real, we could only dream of someone finding a tooth that big, looks like he either found a rock or made it himself. If in the case that he made it himself then what he is doing is wrong.

mommabetts

I been sitting here wondering why more people don't hunt them in Tennessee if they are so big? How come so many go to Florida if those are not real? Boy do I have a lot to learn. I wonder why anyone from that area has never posted theirs here for us to see? Must be a well kept secret, now the cat is out of the bag and everyone is going to go there to hunt for megs.

Guest bmorefossil
I been sitting here wondering why more people don't hunt them in Tennessee if they are so big? How come so many go to Florida if those are not real? Boy do I have a lot to learn. I wonder why anyone from that area has never posted theirs here for us to see? Must be a well kept secret, now the cat is out of the bag and everyone is going to go there to hunt for megs.

i do not think you can find megs in Tennessee but i couldnt give you a straight answer on that, people head the Florida and the Carolinas because the teeth are so common there a child could walk out into one of the rivers, have never seen a sharks tooth in their life before and find a 5" megalodon tooth. Many divers will come back with hundreds of teeth, keep the nice ones and sell the smaller or worn teeth to pay for the diving.

mommabetts
i do not think you can find megs in Tennessee but i couldnt give you a straight answer on that, people head the Florida and the Carolinas because the teeth are so common there a child could walk out into one of the rivers, have never seen a sharks tooth in their life before and find a 5" megalodon tooth. Many divers will come back with hundreds of teeth, keep the nice ones and sell the smaller or worn teeth to pay for the diving.

I was being sarcastic. :P

Guest bmorefossil
I was being sarcastic. :P

i figured that but its always nice to get information out there to people who dont

Auspex

The only Megs in TN are the ones that collectors brought in from elsewhere.

Guest bmorefossil
The only Megs in TN are the ones that collectors brought in from elsewhere.

yes thats basicly where i was coming from, you know how sharks teeth have been found in places where they shouldnt be

mommabetts

I bet his email box is full by some hard core meg collectors out there, who are mostly divers. I would love to be able to be a fly on the wall and read them. Some people just amaze me on how dumb they think people are, surely he can't honestly think that is a real meg do you think? Surely not.?

fossilselachian

I don't know whether this seller is just woefully uninformed, or a rip-off artist hoping for a sap.

Either way, he is an example of the worst of Ebay.

Just think: You can be a record holder in two categories. The first TN meg and the largest meg ever found.

What a farce!! As suggested by another FF member, I'd love to see the response this guy gets from collectors. :faint::faint:

Guest bmorefossil

i dont know if i would really want to read them, i feel that the seller did what he felt was right and he will have to live with it, it may be the wrong thing to do but i feel it would rude to yell at this guy. Its the holidays people maybe he needs the money for his family.

Auspex
i dont know if i would really want to read them, i feel that the seller did what he felt was right and he will have to live with it, it may be the wrong thing to do but i feel it would rude to yell at this guy. Its the holidays people maybe he needs the money for his family.

That is a good and compassionate point. He lost my good will when he slammed the legitimate divers, though.

"As ye give, so shall ye receive".

barefootgirl
:( That's is one of the saddest things I have ever seen for sale on ebay. Better tell all your friends that dont know much about fossils but like to buy them for you to steer clear of that or one or yall could be opening that on christmas morning. :mellow:

Guest bmorefossil
:( That's is one of the saddest things I have ever seen for sale on ebay. Better tell all your friends that dont know much about fossils but like to buy them for you to steer clear of that or one or yall could be opening that on christmas morning. :mellow:

my thoughts exactly think about how many mothers or fathers will be looking on ebay for sharks teeth for their child and then they see this "tooth".

barefootgirl

I just showed my 11 yr old daughter and first thing she said was " Cool mom that rock almost looks like a sharks tooth." When I told her this guy was trying to sell it as a real one she got really upset and said the fossil gods would get him for this one. :rolleyes:

Carl O'Cles

Just like quint was in Jaws, this guy is certifiable.

Pool Man

The auction has been deleted. The fossil forum should be the ebay fossil police, hehe.

Auspex
The auction has been deleted. The fossil forum should be the ebay fossil police, hehe.

I shouldn't have gotten my dander up (righteous indignation is a cancer on the spirit), but his slam on legitimate collectors was just too much for me to swallow quietly. If the Forum can keep on broadcasting truth and knowledge, there will be fewer uninformed folks who get taken.

mommabetts
I shouldn't have gotten my dander up (righteous indignation is a cancer on the spirit), but his slam on legitimate collectors was just too much for me to swallow quietly. If the Forum can keep on broadcasting truth and knowledge, there will be fewer uninformed folks who get taken.

Here Here, 1 for you. If he couldn't take the heat, he shouldn't have been in the kitchen!!!!!!

kauffy

i sent this guy an email yesterday, he replied saying he was going to delete the auction until he got it certified...either he legitimately thinks its a tooth, or is just the biggest scammer ever...either way, im glad to see this is gone.