Sign in to follow this  
Auspex

10" "meg" On Ebay

Guest bmorefossil
i sent this guy an email yesterday, he replied saying he was going to delete the auction until he got it certified...either he legitimately thinks its a tooth, or is just the biggest scammer ever...either way, im glad to see this is gone.

like i was saying not everyone is a scammer or scam artist, he could have been working on a job site and found the rock and thought to himself that it was a sharks tooth. Then he looked up to see how big the largest tooth is and thought he had the largest ever. Its just not right to always be looking twoards the negative sides of situations.

Hawkeye
like i was saying not everyone is a scammer or scam artist, he could have been working on a job site and found the rock and thought to himself that it was a sharks tooth. Then he looked up to see how big the largest tooth is and thought he had the largest ever. Its just not right to always be looking twoards the negative sides of situations.

The guy was just a flat out scammer. All the BS he put about Florida not being underwater and never buy a meg from a diver, he was trying to scam!! There's no way you can give the benefit of the doubt to anybody that lies about his competition to make a sale. My guess is that he knew his name would be dragged through the mud by quite a few fossil collectors after that post if he didn't pull it and he didn't want to risk his "good" name.

Haizahnjager

To my knowledge, the Miocene Seas were roughly 100 miles further inland on the Atlantic Seaboard than their current position. Therefore, any marine fossils found further inland on the Atlantic Coast should be viewed with a cautious eye. ;)

ncjack99

I can't believe I didn't see this on eBay. I'm constantly out there browsing and have seen some crazy things for sale. What did this guy say in his auction about Florida and buying from divers and by chance did anyone save a picture of the "tooth". This one I gotta see.

fossilselachian
I can't believe I didn't see this on eBay. I'm constantly out there browsing and have seen some crazy things for sale. What did this guy say in his auction about Florida and buying from divers and by chance did anyone save a picture of the "tooth". This one I gotta see.

You did not miss much - just imagine a somewhat triangular shaped rock :D

Auspex

It was a triangular piece of sandstone; he claimed that the divers were all scam artists, since Megs don't come from the coast.

Guest bmorefossil
It was a triangular piece of sandstone.....

could have been concrete :P

Auspex

That one was pretty memorable.

I forget that Ebay listings expire; I should copy/edit/post pics and descriptions on some of the "gems" for posterity.

ncjack99

Thanks for the details. Next time I see a good one, I'll be sure to copy the picture and description and post.

Frank Menser

You all are soooo unfair! Don't you know that is the tooth that bit Bigfoot! :P

Found this 8" Tiger in the same location!!!

post-1313-1235830049_thumb.jpg

worthy 55

Their are even bigger ones out there. :P:P What a conversation piece that would make huh. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

post-23-1235888645_thumb.jpg

tracer
Their are even bigger ones out there. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

um, worthy, that's not from a shark. that's a parasymphahntaseal tooth from hogzilla.

Auspex
Their are even bigger ones out there.

OK, now I'm having chest pains...

Guest bmorefossil
OK, now I'm having chest pains...

i tould you to quit :P

Boesse

Never been (or plan on...) to Tennessee, but the westernmost part on a geologic map of the US appears to be part of the northernmost part of the large embayment that occupied the gulf plain during the Eocene. However, I highly doubt that there are marine rocks younger than Cretaceous in Tennessee, definitely none as young as Miocene; its just too far inland, and west of the Appalachians at that.

Bobby