harpo568

Last Minute Trip To Madison And The Dells. Leaving Monday

harpo568

I just found out late last night that I am going to Madison tomorrow with my wife for 3 days and the Dells for 3 days.

I will probably have only a day (Tuesday) to fossil hunt in the Madison area and part of a day in the Dells.This is the first chance I have had since Feb to get out and hunt and I would really like to at least try to bring something home to add to the collection.

Can anyone help me out and point me in the right direction for sites in the Madison area (within an hour +/-) and tell me if there is anything to be found near the dells?

Thanks!

Richard

harpo568

Sitting in our hotel in Madison not sure where to go. guess I will pick a random direction in the morning and try to get out of town and see what I can find.

Or I found a couple of very obscure suggestions online and I may give them a try.

squalicorax

Hey if you want quartz crystals go to rock springs or just go to Devils Lake State Park and hike around its beautiful!

Other than that. Madison can be tough to collect near by.

The dells are all Sandstone of Ordovician and Cambrian age.

I know some Cambrian Sandstone roadcuts in that area but I have not visited them nor know if any fossils are in them.

Edited by squalicorax

Uncle Siphuncle

have you looked up geomaps of the area online, then looked for road cuts, construction, creeks, spillways etc in target formations via satellite imaging? may not be a slam dunk at every outcrop, but that's how i make things happen afield when rolling solo-beats sitting in the room waiting for a PM as well as driving blind.

Uncle Siphuncle

an hour of standard online reconnaissance will up your odds and make your time and gas much more effectively spent.

harpo568

Oh I wasn't totally flying blind I did have some places picked out...and should have gone with my list...instead I got sent on a wild goose chase by someone with an interesting sense of humor.

I had posted on another site that I was looking for sites in southern Wisconsin and got a reply from someone that MUST be a local.

he sent me GPS coordinates for a couple of places he said were great hunting sites. Trusting soul that I can be I just stuck them in the GPS and left without verifying them on my laptop while I was at the hotel.

I drove just over an hour to the first site on the GPS...which turned out to be a Jehova's Witness church. OK, no problem it must be an error on my part. Double checked what I had entered and it was right...no worries just a small error. I decided to just go ahead and go to the second site another hour away to the northwest...and ended up at another JW Church in the middle of town... at the time I was furious but couldn't help but laugh, I have a pretty good sense of humor.

If it hadn't wasted my entire day and quite a bit of gas (luckily we brought the Hybrid on this trip) it would have been hilarious...

I'll probably wind up coming up here in the spring and will have plenty of time to research before then.

squalicorax

The problem with bedrock in wisconsin is it is below tens of feet of glacial till, so finding outcrops is very difficult.

Construction sites are never deep enough to expose bedrock and the same can be said with small creeks and rivers.

squalicorax

Oh and im glad you got to enjoy some good Wisconsin humor, although that was quite mean!