Tool List For A New Collector? Also Tools I Bought At Local Hardware Store

Jed '06

Hi Folks,

I've been mainly a surface collector of fossils and small chunk rock with just a hammer, small prybar and a couple of small chisels. Looking to put together a proper tool kit, going to a rock quarry and a roadcut site soon so I need the proper tools! Thanks for any advice!

Jed

Edited by Jed '06

Hey Jed,

There are lots of good discussions here on this particular subject.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/9183-field-collecting-equipment/

A fossil hunter needs sharp eyes and a keen search image, a mental template that subconsciously evaluates everything he sees in his search for telltale clues. -Richard E. Leakey

http://prehistoricalberta.lefora.com

Thanks rejd for pointing me in the right direction. Work is really getting in the way of my forum searches, seems like I'm always short on time when I'm trying to learn something on Fossil Forum!

Jed

No problem Jed. Best of luck with your hunts. I am heading out this Saturday with some good friends.

A fossil hunter needs sharp eyes and a keen search image, a mental template that subconsciously evaluates everything he sees in his search for telltale clues. -Richard E. Leakey

http://prehistoricalberta.lefora.com

Hi rejd,

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction for info. Coudn't order an Estwing and get it in time so I bought some cheaper tools at Menards for now. 22 ounce Estwing on order! Thought some of my fellow newbies might want to see what I bought. Total cost was $46.99 for 3lb. hammer, 20 ounce chisel rock hammer ( didn't have a 22 or 24 ounce in stock), 1 1/4 " flat chisel, 3/4" X 7" cold chisel and a 2" mason chisel. I thought the flat chisel and the mason chisel would work well splitting shale. I already had the two smallest chisels and the wedge. I haven't heard of anyone using a wedge yet but it comes in very handy. I mainly will be using these on softer materials and some limestone, they should last until my other tools come in. Safety items not shown, always wear safety glasses and wear gloves!!

Jed

post-12952-0-44085300-1378824733_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Hi, used the tools today at a roadcut for about five hours. All seemed to hold up OK, the metal in the chisels seemed about the right hardness and the rock hammer worked fine. Really liked the finger grooves on the rock hammer, broke apart quite a bit of hard rock with it. The flat chisel is real nice to use, worked really well splitting rock.I have an Estwing 22 ounce on order, I think this is one tool worth spending extra money on, hammers take a lot of abuse! I'll continue to use the one I bought at Menards, it seems good quality.

Having the proper tools sure makes it easier!

Good Hunting

It looks like you have a pretty good assortment of tools. I have a six foot prybar that I haven't been able to use, but if you were in a position where you could use one, It couldn't hurt to try one. I was at a dig a long while back where the site owner used them to dig out three to four foot blocks of shale.

Hi Cryptidsaurian,

Bet that 6 foot prybar is pretty heavy, leave it in the car until needed! That is my next tool to get, ran into situations already where I needed a long prybar. Any recomendations on type or shape?

Actually, mine only weighs about 10-15 pounds, so it's actually pretty light for its size!

Actually, mine only weighs about 10-15 pounds, so it's actually pretty light for its size!

So should I get a straight bar or the typical bar with the curved end?

Thanks !

So should I get a straight bar or the typical bar with the curved end?

Thanks !

I don't have much experience, but think either would work. The man I saw using one had a slightly bent tip, about a five to ten degree angle. Mine has a bit larger of a curve on it, but has worked on shale in my woods with pretty good success.

I don't have much experience, but think either would work. The man I saw using one had a slightly bent tip, about a five to ten degree angle. Mine has a bit larger of a curve on it, but has worked on shale in my woods with pretty good success.

Thanks Crypti, I'm going to shop around tomorrow, hope to find what I need! Going fossil hunting Saturday might need it!

Thanks Crypti, I'm going to shop around tomorrow, hope to find what I need! Going fossil hunting Saturday might need it!

Good to hear, I hope it works out for you!

You can also use some razor blades (the kind for cutting sheet rock) and a small tack hammer to fine split shale. I use these when I collect fern fossils from pa.

Painter's knives, putty knives, butter knives are all usable for different types of shales or mudstones.

I like to use a small ball peen hammer or tack hammer when using these tools.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Good to hear, I hope it works out for you!

Hi Crypti, I ended up buying a True Temper #1174300 60" Diamond Point Slate Bar. Found it on Amazon for $25.99. It has an angled flat end and the other end is made for breaking stone. Got a 60" so it would fit OK in my small car!

Thanks for the advice!

Hey JonnyQuest & Fossildude, never thought about using those tools! Gonna try them out :), bet they would work well with the Indiana shale.

Thanks Guys

Edited by Jed '06

Hi Crypti, I ended up buying a True Temper #1174300 60" Diamond Point Slate Bar. Found it on Amazon for $25.99. It has an angled flat end and the other end is made for breaking stone. Got a 60" so it would fit OK in my small car!

Thanks for the advice!

Awesome, I hope it serves you well!

Jeepdigger and I have the exact same hammer you have in the photo from Menards, and both of us have the handles slipping off. I would guess yours will be slipping soon. I've heard that silicone works best to glue them back on so the never come off. I guess I'll give it a try next time I need to use silicone. I second Tim's idea of using paint scrapers. I use one that has the metal going all the way through the handle so you can hammer on it without it breaking. It is about the most used tool in my kit.

Ramo

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

Hey Ramo, thanks for the heads up onthe hammer handle, I'll keep a close eye on it. Seems to be a pretty good hammer otherwise.

I'll rob my toolbox of a paintscraper and put it with my fossil tools too! Should have my prybar by Friday, getting close to having everything I need.

Thanks Guys for all the suggestions!

Thought I would add this stuff too. I have a couple of Dasco 337 flat 12 inch chisels; like you bought. If you use 3 or 4 of them together you can get large slabs out intact (Sometimes. Havent tested it on shale). I also picked up a Estwing PB-18 light weight I-beam contrusction pry bar. Soon as I picked this up I knew I was going to buy it. So light weight for the size and offers a large width thin prying face. Down side is it has a notch for a nail which might not be good with shale. I use it when prying on limestone that is on a flat horizon, which does a good job on. I might pick up another one and weld up the split for the nail puller if I get around to collecting shale. Another plus with this is it can double (to an extent) as a mason hammer. If you have a second person with you, you can hand this off to them instead of buying a second mason hammer. Also I bought a Dritz cloth tape measure from Jo-Ann fabric. It has both centimeter and inch measurements and is very durable. It is made in Germany and cost about $8.99 I think. I had a couple cheap China ones from wally world that failed rather quickly. Nice thing with these tapes is they are lightweight, small, and flexible.

Edit: Opps, forgot the picture!

post-12478-0-23496700-1379518727_thumb.jpg

Edited by pinkpantherbeekeeper

Thought I would add this stuff too. I have a couple of Dasco 337 flat 12 inch chisels; like you bought. If you use 3 or 4 of them together you can get large slabs out intact (Sometimes. Havent tested it on shale). I also picked up a Estwing PB-18 light weight I-beam contrusction pry bar. Soon as I picked this up I knew I was going to buy it. So light weight for the size and offers a large width thin prying face. Down side is it has a notch for a nail which might not be good with shale. I use it when prying on limestone that is on a flat horizon, which does a good job on. I might pick up another one and weld up the split for the nail puller if I get around to collecting shale. Another plus with this is it can double (to an extent) as a mason hammer. If you have a second person with you, you can hand this off to them instead of buying a second mason hammer. Also I bought a Dritz cloth tape measure from Jo-Ann fabric. It has both centimeter and inch measurements and is very durable. It is made in Germany and cost about $8.99 I think. I had a couple cheap China ones from wally world that failed rather quickly. Nice thing with these tapes is they are lightweight, small, and flexible.

Edit: Opps, forgot the picture!

attachicon.gif20130918_111126.jpg

Hi Pink Panther,

I have an 18 inch prybar similar to your Estwing ( Harbour Freight) but is a little heavy. Its works pretty good on shale. Another tool I saw at Harbour Freight is used to dig postholes. It's about 6 feet long and has a straight blade about 3 inches wide on one end, the other end has a flat metal disc a couple inches in diameter. It's made for busting through stone. Looks like it would be perfect for someone doing heavy work, weighs 18 pounds though.Definitely leave in car until needed! I picked up a 24 inch T-head wrecking bar also, REALLY like this one! It works very well for what I'm doing.

I had not thought of a tape measure, do you use it as size reference in field photos?

Thanks for the info!

Edited by Jed '06

Don't be tempted to use a digging bar for prying; they bend very easily. They are designed to chop straight down through soil, and would have very limited utility in fossil excavation.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Don't be tempted to use a digging bar for prying; they bend very easily. They are designed to chop straight down through soil, and would have very limited utility in fossil excavation.

Thanks Auspex!

You saved me from being the owner of a bent digging tool! :)

My Estwing rock hammer just came in today.My guess is never use it on any thing but rock? Don't drive a chisel or wedge with it?

Thanks again!

You can safely and effectively drive cold chisels with it, just don't strike any hardened steel with it (another hammer, or a wood chisel, for example)..

Please wear good eye protection when you're wailing away; it only takes one chip of something to spoil your day...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!