Rose1611

Galveston: To Hunt Or Not To Hunt

tracer

tpwd info

the above link is to some information that i cannot personally say anything about.

it is my understanding that a lot of people look for fossils around rivers. rivers cut down through strata, exposing fossils, and they also sometimes collect, sort and deposit material in "gravel bars" of varying sizes, making it easier (maybe) to access.

rivers also destroy a lot of fossils, beating them up and rolling them until they're unrecognizable. finding "perfect" fossils is much less likely in rivers than in the location the fossil was originally located.

rivers and riverbanks can be quite dangerous in a number of ways that aren't completely obvious. people die every year as a result.

you are in an area with a tremendous amount of nearby fossil hunting territory. although you might be able to find fossils in a river, you can most certainly find fossils in other, more straightforward environments in your area also.

regards,

river tracer

Rose1611
tpwd info

the above link is to some information that i cannot personally say anything about.

it is my understanding that a lot of people look for fossils around rivers. rivers cut down through strata, exposing fossils, and they also sometimes collect, sort and deposit material in "gravel bars" of varying sizes, making it easier (maybe) to access.

rivers also destroy a lot of fossils, beating them up and rolling them until they're unrecognizable. finding "perfect" fossils is much less likely in rivers than in the location the fossil was originally located.

rivers and riverbanks can be quite dangerous in a number of ways that aren't completely obvious. people die every year as a result.

you are in an area with a tremendous amount of nearby fossil hunting territory. although you might be able to find fossils in a river, you can most certainly find fossils in other, more straightforward environments in your area also.

regards,

river tracer

Thank you so much for the info! That's a very good point. It seems rivers could be good or bad places to look, depending on a lot of things... but there have to be better, less dangerous places to look for fossils around here. It's just a matter of finding them - and that's half the fun, I guess.

Mike Murphy
A couple years back some guy on eBay was selling Pleistocene crabs from Galveston....never did figure out where he was working exactly.

Dan:

Specimens of Callinectes sapidus preserved in hardened claystone have been found near NE Galveston Island. They are not abundant. I can't give location information because this is a private locality. The folowing are dorsal and ventral views of a specimen of Callinectes sapidus from Galveston Island that I collected a number of years ago. Pleistocene molluscs and sand dollars are are also found in a hardened claystone coquina and loose as well.

Regards,

Mike

post-153-1229838038_thumb.jpg

post-153-1229838066_thumb.jpg

Uncle Siphuncle

Mike

Thanks for the info and images on Galveston crabs. It is nice to have something to substantiate my recollection. I suspect that similar material might be available along other parts of the TX coast, however I've not seen much information on this.

MikeD

Fossil crabs in Galveston is not something that I would have expected, but I am learning a lot lately about things that I would not have expected to find in Texas. I will have to open my eyes a little wider next time I go there.

Megatooth Collector

I just found out I'll be taking a trip down to Galveston island, Texas, in the spring (probably March or April) and I wanted you ask you more experienced fossil-hunters a few things. I've been to the island twice before, but never stopped to search for fossils. I know anything I might find in that area would be marine, and I've checked a couple of books, but can't find any more info.

Should I be on the lookout for fossils while I'm there? If so, would I be more likely to find shark's teeth, or bones? Or both?

I live in Houston, TX and grew up looking for Sharks teeth on the beaches of Galveston and Crystal Beach on the Bolivar side of the ferry. I have found hundreds of fossilized sharks teeth over the years... mostly small to medium sized bull shark, tiger shark, lemon shark, and makos. It really all depends on the amount of shell on the beaches and I find that low tide is best! I have also had a little more success on the Bolivar side than Galveston. Just FYI in case anyone is coming down to this area soon.

Megatooth Collector

Here is a sampling of some of the teeth I have found on Galveston and Bolivar, TX beaches. It's pretty easy and relaxing too!

post-12849-0-04300500-1381463240_thumb.jpg

post-12849-0-80088300-1381463247_thumb.jpg

boneyardwolf

Hey guys, I'm the guy who sold the crabs on ebay that came from Galveston. I used to hunt the site back in the 1970's when I was a teenager. My family hunted the Texas City dike from 1972 to 1990's and has the largest collection in Texas from the dike. I do not hunt there anymore because of others who hunt it to death.

There were lots of fossil areas in Galveston at one time, not so much now....

Tex

Used to go visit my great aunt and uncle in Texas City. My great uncle used to take us fishing and crab (modern ones) trapping. Never new we could have found fossilized ones there too.