Aerospirifer Arreutus- A Lower Devonian Brachiopod From The Glenerie Limestone, Kingston, Ny

Jeffrey P

Acrospirifer arreutus, a Lower Devonian brachiopod preserved in silica, very abundant in the Glenerie Limestone exposed in a roadcut along Route 9W north of Kingston, NY.

post-13044-0-97667500-1378820448_thumb.jpg

post-13044-0-51938000-1378820562_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jeffrey P

As I mentioned in your other Glenerie Brachiopod topic, I like these both-sides matrix-free specimens. :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Aerospirifer... that is a new one for me! Thanks for posting all these guys. Reminds me of the Macropleura I found in the Licking Creek formation in Virginia.

Edited by Shamalama

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Sorry,

My error. It is actually Acrospirifer. I used David M. Linsley's Devonian Paleontology of New York as a reference. It features copies of lithographs from James Hall's thirteen volume Paleontology, published between 1847 and 1894. It is my understanding that some species names have changed in the past hundred years and so these id's are preliminary at best. Linsley's book is available free online. Anyone interested in Devonian brachiopods, mollusks, and trilobites should own it.

Linsley's book is a great reference for New York fossils. If you want to go back to the source material, the Hall volumes are available online through Google Books. You can consult the species list starting on page 71 of Linsley to see which volume is the source for a particular plate. For Acrospirifer arrectus, the text is in Hall, 1859 (p. 422-424) and the plates are in Hall, 1861 (Plate 97). When Linsley gives several figures for the same species, I find it helpful to read the descriptions in Hall to see what the difference is between the figures.

Hall called this species Spirifer arrectus. According to the Paleontology Database, Acrospirifer is still a valid genus, but they don't have an entry for this particular species, so I'm not sure about that.

Nice finds for a roadcut site. The triangular shaped shell in the upper right corner is very interesting. Congratulations.