Meristella Laevis- A Lower Devonian Brachiopod From The Glenerie Limestone, Kingston, Ny

Jeffrey P

Meristella laevis, a Lower Devonian brachiopod from the Glenerie Limestone exposed in a roadcut along Route 9W north of Kingston, NY. The one in my hand includes both valves.

post-13044-0-71914100-1378822307_thumb.jpg

post-13044-0-75819000-1378822351_thumb.jpg

Really interesting preservation in the Glenerie!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Nice! The preservation looks similar to the type of preservation that I've seen in the Licking Creek Formation in Virginia and the Old Port formation here in PA.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Archived