Late Pliocene Odontocete Fossils From California

AncientEarth

I wanted to share a few of the local Central California Coast mammal specimens I've collected in the last month.

The tooth as it turns out is not easy to ID as I already had a friend check with Bobby on it (Thanks again Bobby!)

This is the first time sharing the vert specimens, one to me almost looks like it has a possible bite mark (shark) on it due to linear scratches, the other is a very well worn vert. I may be wrong completely on the Odontocete ID, if so please feel free to give input.

Age is Late Pliocene from deposits in northern Santa Barbara County.

post-11327-0-65676700-1378927931_thumb.jpg

post-11327-0-28636100-1378928042_thumb.jpg

post-11327-0-18695500-1378928044_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the very good photos-- Nice finds!

I can't help on the ID unfortunately--will need to wait for some vert folks to chime in. Regards, Chris

So far, most Late Pliocene odontocete fossils from California are scrappy at best, although Parapontoporia sternbergi is the best preserved odontocete from Late Pliocene California.

Actually there's a pretty fantastic late Pliocene odontocete record from California, primarily from the San Diego Formation, the Pismo Formation, and the Purisima Formation - but most of it is unpublished with the exception of Parapontoporia and the headless Albireo savagei. I have a paper in press with descriptions of fossil phocoenids, delphinids, Parapontoporia, and a couple other scraps from the Purisima Fm. - that'll hopefully be out in the next 6 months.

There's also some possible Pliocene globicephaline fossils from the Purisima Fm. I just published on in APP.

Inyo, Thank you for the additional information about the Odontocetes and the lead on Dr. Barnes... and the fantastic website online. I've been a fan for years, many many many times I have used your site as a start for what is in regions of CA before getting out there myself.

Boesse, feel free to chime in if something looks somewhat recognizable, I appreciate the effort thus far. For those of us without access to unpublished or scarce documents, we need all the help we can get.

I met with someone from the Buena Vista Museum in Bakersfield this week and they helped me to ID two more possible Odontocete pieces out of the collection of bones I gathered, another vert and a phalange. Be great to have all your input on these as well.

Plantguy, thanks for the compliment, I try to get as clear of photos as I can to help others with visual ID.

Thanks everyone

Aaron

post-11327-0-94373100-1379291158_thumb.jpg

post-11327-0-26697300-1379291177_thumb.jpg