Deer Lake Devonian Trace Patterns

hitekmastr

Devonian Trace Patterns from

Deer Lake PA (Hamilton Gp/Mahantango)

This is just for fun but maybe someone will recognize some of these trace patterns. I saw these distinctive trace patterns at the Deer Lake site and took these photos. I didn't collect the fossils but photographed them because they look like some kind of crinoid or coral filaments. The first image seems to have the top of a tube with the filaments above it.

Pattern 1

post-8709-0-72457700-1379029257_thumb.jpg

Pattern 2

post-8709-0-75629800-1379029259_thumb.jpg

Pattern 3

post-8709-0-61239100-1379029261_thumb.jpg

Pattern 4

post-8709-0-11454700-1379029263_thumb.jpg

Edited by hitekmastr

That's very cool. Do you think Pattern 3 might be a eurypterid? It might be my imagination but it seems to be lying on its side with the two devil like "horns" pointing to the right and a "tail" curling under the fossil at the bottom, with a bulbous oval structure at the end of the "tail." Of course I have an active imagination and tend to see fossil shapes in clouds!!

Sorry to burst your bubble but what you are seeing is Iron staining on the rock, not fossils nor trace fossils. Your fist pic might have an orthoconic cephalopod near the bottom though.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

That was my thought as well, Dave.

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."

Upton Sinclair

No bubble burst. These were posted for fun to see if they represented anything. I didn't collect them, just photographed the patterns. Thanks for the insights - always appreciated...!