Large Sand Tigers

Carl O'Cles

Attached is an image of an eocene Striatolamia Macrota i found a while back that measures in at 2.69". Just curious to see if there are others out there who have been fortunate enough to pull any type of sand tiger this size from any epoch. If so what epoch was it from, what species is it and can you post some pics?

post-337-1229478802_thumb.jpg

:faint:

Nice tooth, to say the least. If there are larger ones out there, PLEASE post them. I don't have anything even close to that size.

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Guest bmorefossil
My largest are 2" from Cretaceous of Mississippi and 2 1/8" from Eocene of Alabama. You win.

yea you never did show me your 2" sand teeth thats what you called them right? I always wanted to see them

I have a couple near 2.5" from NJ. I believe them also to be S. macrota. I have seen a couple slightly larger from the same site as mine which would make them around 2.5-2.75, probably still smaller than yours though. Maybe if they werent rewroked and slightly rounded they would max at about 2.75" but these are usually missing root lobes, broken off by us during extractions.

---Wie Wasser schleift den Stein, wir steigen und fallen---

Guest bmorefossil
I have a couple near 2.5" from NJ. I believe them also to be S. macrota. I have seen a couple slightly larger from the same site as mine which would make them around 2.5-2.75, probably still smaller than yours though. Maybe if they werent rewroked and slightly rounded they would max at about 2.75" but these are usually missing root lobes, broken off by us during extractions.

yea you do have some nice ones from nj.

Somewhere in storage I have a few Odontaspis cuspidata (is that still a valid taxon?) found in the early 70's at Westmorland that are 2 1/4 - 2 1/2". Those were the days...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest bmorefossil
Somewhere in storage I have a few Odontaspis cuspidata (is that still a valid taxon?) found in the early 70's at Westmorland that are 2 1/4 - 2 1/2". Those were the days...

yea you got all your stuff in storage, i bet you could open a museum with just your finds

yea you got all your stuff in storage, i bet you could open a museum with just your finds

Most of my "best of the best" (and the highly unusual) wound up in the study collection at the old Smithsonian Naturalist's Room. Heaven only knows where they are now...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Most of my "best of the best" (and the highly unusual) wound up in the study collection at the old Smithsonian Naturalist's Room. Heaven only knows where they are now...

:faint:

I'm pretty sure they are now carcharias cuspidata now but never the less 2.5" would by far be the biggest i have seen from the miocene, congrats. I agree with you on those being the days, I sure do miss that place. I remember when i first collected there many years ago i found half a lousy tooth. Then i went a couple time later and had better results but nothing spectacular. After about two months of collecting there i went there one day after a storm and had an awesome day. I scored a meg a little under 5.75 another that was 3" and a lower mako that was a little under 3". the best part is that i was collecting the beach and a guy ran down the beach past me. I caught up to him a little further down the beach and he was heading out and i showed him the 3" meg i had and he told me "this place suck's i'm heading to somewhere better". The guy headed out and i took no less than five steps from where we were and found the big meg just laying out fully exposed, it was my first over five so i was fired up. I went back there the next day and saw the same guy and asked him if he had better results at the other site he went to. he looked at me and said "would i be here if i did?". I then went on to tell him about big meg i found and he looked super sour and asked where i had found it. I didn't want to upset him so i told him i found it in the water when I should have told him that he probably stepped right on it.

Guest bmorefossil
I'm pretty sure they are now carcharias cuspidata now but never the less 2.5" would by far be the biggest i have seen from the miocene, congrats. I agree with you on those being the days, I sure do miss that place. I remember when i first collected there many years ago i found half a lousy tooth. Then i went a couple time later and had better results but nothing spectacular. After about two months of collecting there i went there one day after a storm and had an awesome day. I scored a meg a little under 5.75 another that was 3" and a lower mako that was a little under 3". the best part is that i was collecting the beach and a guy ran down the beach past me. I caught up to him a little further down the beach and he was heading out and i showed him the 3" meg i had and he told me "this place suck's i'm heading to somewhere better". The guy headed out and i took no less than five steps from where we were and found the big meg just laying out fully exposed, it was my first over five so i was fired up. I went back there the next day and saw the same guy and asked him if he had better results at the other site he went to. he looked at me and said "would i be here if i did?". I then went on to tell him about big meg i found and he looked super sour and asked where i had found it. I didn't want to upset him so i told him i found it in the water when I should have told him that he probably stepped right on it.

great story, i have been trying to reply for like 2 hours lol, ok so as i was trying to say, im still looking for my first 5" meg, i hope i find one, as for my story. I was digging out my baleen whale jaw when i got this feeling to hurry down the beach, about 20 feet in front of a guy i found a sweet giant thrasher, im glad i ran down there lol.

Guest N.AL.hunter

Here are the pictures of my largest Sand Shark teeth. We do not like to call them Sand Tiger as that is just confusing with Tiger shark teeth. The first picture are all 2" - 2.25" from Mississippi's Cretaceous. The second is the 2.25" one of the same group. The third is a 2 1/8" one from the Eocene of Alabama.

Wow, that's a beast. It looks like it's from Popes. I can say that I have been trying to find out how big these things get for several years and until now I haven't seen one larger than the one I found. OK, you win but I'll post a pic anyway. This tooth is Eocene, S. macrota, and when I found it I thought it was a big mako. It has a bit of tip damage so it's only a paltry 2.60 inches. I have heard from several people that they can get to 3 inches in Europe, but I have not seen one or a pic of one. Very impressive find. I can quit researching now.

post-210-1229663981_thumb.jpg

Wow, that's a beast. It looks like it's from Popes. I can say that I have been trying to find out how big these things get for several years and until now I haven't seen one larger than the one I found. OK, you win but I'll post a pic anyway. This tooth is Eocene, S. macrota, and when I found it I thought it was a big mako. It has a bit of tip damage so it's only a paltry 2.60 inches. I have heard from several people that they can get to 3 inches in Europe, but I have not seen one or a pic of one. Very impressive find. I can quit researching now.

post-210-1229663981_thumb.jpg

That's a nice tooth you got there. I also have been trying to find a max size for these as well. I tell you what if i ever found one that was 3" i'd be pretty darn happy.

Archived