Fossils From Gotland (Sweden)

megabass22

These are my fossils from Gotland (southern Sweden) and they are all from silurian age. I have only photographed the most interesting specimens specifically, as i have far too many specimens to fotograph. Also, most are unidentified as i do not have much knowledge of fossil corals (which i have a lot of), or clams / sea urchins, but anyways, here it is:

Corals

These corals are of various different species, my most common type being Catenipora.

Sea Urchins

Sea Urchins like these are also quite common on Gotland

Other Specimens

These two fossils are by far the best ones i have from my Gotland "Expedition", first off, a nearly perfect silurian clam with no restoration or repair (however quite some prepping):

And one of my two larger self-collected orthocnes: Dawsonoceras. it was a orthocone, with an unknown size, as no complete specimen has never been found:

Here is the "Gotland box" where i store my fossils from Gotland, and i have as i said way too many to photograph:

And by far my rarest fossil, a specimen of Dawnsonoceras, with has very few documented fossils in the entire world, and only one or two from Gotland (not including mine). it was a orthocone, with an unknown size, as no complete specimen has never been found:

sml_gallery_12609_1806_1756505.jpg

The genus Dawsonoceras is a fairly common fossil in Sweden. Is this particular species rare?

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

It is? I have only seen extremely few of them, i edited the info in the thread and in my gallery .

Thanks for letting me know. Even though i´ve still only seen a few. It seems to be a Dawsonoceras annulatum, the type species, of which i only know 2 other specimens of from Gotland, but then again, i just recently joined the fossil community.

BTW, is there any way to identify the clam i´ve got? I haven´t had that much luck with google searches yet.

Thank you for showing your Gotland fossils!

The clam in particular is wonderful :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Sadly, there aren´t too many papers published here in Sweden, especially not on silurian clams. Searching for "Gotland fossil clams", "Visby beds clam fossil" "Silurian clams" or anything like that only brings up vaguely similar specimens, but there is always something that isn´t right. Anyways, thanks for your help.

Auspex said:

Thank you for showing your Gotland fossils!

The clam in particular is wonderful :)

Thanks, i hope to go there again some time.

Sadly, there aren´t too many papers published here in Sweden, especially not on silurian clams. Searching for "Gotland fossil clams", "Visby beds clam fossil" "Silurian clams" or anything like that only brings up vaguely similar specimens, but there is always something that isn´t right. Anyways, thanks for your help.

The papers aren't necessarily published in Sweden. Here is a good place to get started: LINK

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Aha, I was going to suggest the clam is too good to be fossil, especially considering everything else is wave-worn... but you say you prepped it out of the rock yourself?

The first picture of the sea urchin is wrong! I managed to post the wrong picture to the thread. I'll have to fix it later, you are right that it's a coral.

I do remember prepping the clam out of the rock myself, however, it is possible that i managed to mix my self-found fossils up, it could really be from anywhere in southern sweden, maybe Ivö (cretaceous) ?

The first picture of the sea urchin is wrong! I managed to post the wrong picture to the thread. I'll have to fix it later, you are right that it's a coral.

I do remember prepping the clam out of the rock myself, however, it is possible that i managed to mix my self-found fossils up, it could really be from anywhere in southern sweden, maybe Ivö (cretaceous) ?

I have been speaking to a few people at various meetings with the HGS about Ivö. I would love to see your specimens from that location - I am planning to visit it next year sometime. It is the only location in Europe which shows the shoreline of the chalk sea, fascinating stuff.

Regards,

I only remember finding really small belemnites and some assorted corals, and quite possibly that clam, they should be here somewhere. I'll post them if i find them.

Hello Megabass

I know well the Fossils of Gotland....I go once a year.

You 2nd picture is a tabulata coral Halysites (Catenipora?)

the third is a Rugosa coral , looks like Cystiphyllum tenue.

There's no sea urchins in Gotland, it looks like as tabulata coral Heliolites if the septa are round, if polygonal, it's a Favosites

and the Orthocone is not a dawsonoceras, it's an Actinoceras

Most of your fossils have been rolled by the sea ,have you found them along the coast around Ireviken?

here link about pictures from Gotland

http://www.flickr.com/photos/supergrevling/3002695688/in/set-72157608639773962/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/supergrevling/5527153339/in/set-72157608639773962/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/supergrevling/5429287948/in/set-72157608639773962/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/supergrevling/2999016296/in/set-72157608639773962/

don't hesitate to ask me infos if you need

Dromiopsis

Thanks a lot for identifying the fossils, i have been trying to do it myself. You are entirely right about Ireviken too, and i'll certainly ask if i need too. About the urchins, the first picture is indeed a coral, but it shows two different specimens. I'll see if i can get a picture of the correct side of the "sea urchin" to help with identification. Thank you again.

/

Archived