Good Day In The Tx Upper Cretaceous

Texas Fossil Hound

I went out with Creekcrawler to check out some areas of the Upper Cretaceous last week and had a pretty decent day despite the heat and the hogs Barry decided to spook.

Nice Placenticeras Ammonite - (see the prep story in the Prep Forum of this site).

post-4709-0-80693500-1379394511_thumb.jpg

Full Mosy tooth still embedded in the matrix.

post-4709-0-68138600-1379394486_thumb.jpg

An unusual vertebra still in the matrix - possibly a ray vert(?)

post-4709-0-04927900-1379394674_thumb.jpg

post-4709-0-82513200-1379395396_thumb.jpg

Several nice gastropods

post-4709-0-16912000-1379394561_thumb.jpg

And a myriad of bits of Enchodus, Bison, Croc, Gary point, Serratolamna, Squalicorax, and Ischyrhiza.

post-4709-0-14888100-1379394581_thumb.jpg

Happy hunting!

Jon

"Silence is Golden, but duct tape is Silver."

An interesting variety of finds. Congrats, Jon.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Jon, Nice finds, vert is unusual, haven't seen anything like it. When Barry doesn't have a snake to occupy his time, hog spooking is his second choice-----Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

quality, variety, rarity....i dig it, man!

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

I told Barry not to go into the tall grass to see what was making the noise, but he did anyway. When the 2 250 lb. hogs spooked and started running, we could not tell if they were running toward us or away from us. Barry came out of the tall grass pretty darn quick! I was indexing through my options as my hand tightened around the handle of my 22" Estwing pick hammer.

It just would not be as exciting to hunt fossils without Barry stirring up trouble. : )

Jon

"Silence is Golden, but duct tape is Silver."

It just would not be as exciting to hunt fossils without Barry stirring up trouble. : )

Jon

How true....

:D

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

I told Barry not to go into the tall grass to see what was making the noise, but he did anyway. When the 2 250 lb. hogs spooked and started running, we could not tell if they were running toward us or away from us. Barry came out of the tall grass pretty darn quick! I was indexing through my options as my hand tightened around the handle of my 22" Estwing pick hammer.

Jon

When I hunted with him in the NSR last year, on a hot summer day, I looked around and found him laying in an area of slow running water letting the minnows nibble on him. He does like to tune in with nature---Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

...and they called him "Dances with Agkistrodon"...

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Nice variety there. It can be treacherous out there between the muck, snakes, and hogs.

Just be glad that CreekCrawler is (relatively) harmless... :P

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Ha! Ha! Unfortunately if we spook a Grizzly we know which way it's running and he'll use the rock hammer as a tooth pick.

Great finds. Is this a marine/ terrestrial transition zone (the croc tooth)? No idea why, but we almost never find shark material with Placenticeras fossils.

Like the native point. It's rewarding to have a variety of stuff. It's a reminder of how Nature changes over time.

Edited by Ridgehiker

Great finds, and a fun hunt Jon. What a great variety!! My favorite is that Mosasaur tooth with it's hind end up in the air. You know the next big water event would have damaged that beauty for shure. I'm really glad you rescued it.. That vert is very strange.. I hope you get an ID on that rascal... I think I learned my lesson with the porkers. Think I'll stick to the moccassins, they are predictable compared to a smart animal :)