Is This A Fish, A Cycad Or ?

Volitan

Hi. I found this many years ago at the Talbragar Beds in NSW, Australia. This was long before the site was closed to amateur collecting.

This locality is famous for Jurassic fish fossils.

Below is a rather outdated list of species found at the site. I notice that it includes a cycad, which seems to me a possible contender. Most of the fossils at the site are small fish, so I guess it could also be a part of a large fish.

thanks for looking at this for me

cheers

Arron

Pinopsida
Pinales - Podocarpaceae : Elatocladus australis

Actinopterygii
Coccolepidae : Coccolepis australis

Actinopteri
Semionotiformes - Semionotidae : Aphnelepis australis n. gen. n. sp., Aetheolepis mirabilis n. gen. n. sp.
Teleostei - Pholidophoridae : Archaeomaene tenuis n. gen. n. sp., Archaeomaene robustus n. sp.
Teleostei - Leptolepidae : Leptolepis talbragarensis n. sp., Leptolepis lowei n. sp., Leptolepis gregarius n. sp.

Coelacanthimorpha
Coelacanthidae : Coelacanthidae indet.

Pteridopsida
Onychiopsis sp., Cladophlebis australis
Cyatheales - Dicksoniaceae : Coniopteris hymenophylloides

Cycadopsida
Cycadales - "Nilssonia compta" = Nilsonia

Ginkgoopsida
Pentoxylales - Pentoxylaceae : Taeniopteris daintreei

Peltaspermopsida
Peltaspermales - Umkomasiaceae : Pachypteris crassa

unclassified
Selaginella sp., Allocladus cribbii, Allocladus milneanus, Neuropteridium australe, Thinnfeldia odontopteroides, Carnoconites australica n. sp.

post-12761-0-29008900-1379714949_thumb.jpg

It looks plant-ish to me; beyond that...?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Looks fishy to me. Body scales below, and the base of a fin on top. I suspect the orientation of the photo is "upside down": the fin should be on the bottom in life orientation. No idea about the genus/species.

Don

Hi Volitan,

Interesting specimen you got there. I agree with Don and am gonna say I'm not thinking plant/cycad either. I really shouldn't even be guessing but what the heck...but saw a Aphnelepsis link while looking at various fossil plants from that site.

http://www.fossilmall.com/Science/Sites/Talbragar/Aphnelepis/Aphnelepis.htm

Our fellow member Thomas (Oilshale) also has one in his gallery. http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/gallery/image/8284-aphnelepis-australis/

Dont bank on this ID by any measure...it truly is a guess! Wait for a fish expert to way in.

Regards, Chris

I'm going to vote on fish for this as well.

I see what appear to be raylets on the anterior border of the fin.

post-2806-0-69737200-1379768290_thumb.jp

Regards,

EDIT: You might look through this PDF on Google Books. Haven't looked through it myself,so I'm not sure you will be able to narrow it down any further, based on what is preserved. It does seem that you have a larger than normal piece of fish there, though.

You might check with a local university or museum to see if it is important.

Edited by Fossildude19
  • I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thats a nice fish specimen , as Tim suggests I too think that it would be worth getting someone to look at it for you

thanks for sharing

best regards

Chris

"A man who stares at a rock must have a lot on his mind... or nothing at all'

Plantguy made me aware of this thread (thanks Chris). I agree with Tim: (partial) fish with either the dorsal or anal fin. Plantguy suggested the fish being an Aphnelepis. Might be. But to say the truth - I am not even sure about the fish in my gallery being an Aphnelepis... If you really want to find out which species, you will have to ask a professional.

Thomas

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...

I would suggest that this is a fish as you can see the fin radials. Its not cavenderichthies (New name for Leptolepis) or Archaeomaene. Its one of the rare fish. judging by its rhombic scales its possibly Aetheolepis.

Hope that helps

Rod

Here is a document about the Australian Jurassic sedimentary and fossil successions - S. Turner et al. http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1080/11035890902924877
with reference to the Late Jurassic Talbragar fish fauna. A few of them are illustrated in page 61: post-17588-0-10881900-1444483820_thumb.jpg

A very good document, about "Leptolepis" : The leptolepid fish Cavenderichthys talbragarensis (Woodward,1895) from the Talbragar Fish Bed(Late Jurassic) near Gulgong, New South Wales - L.B. Bean http://museum.wa.gov.au/sites/default/files/THE%20LEPTOLEPID%20FISH%20CAVENDERICHTHYS%20TALKBRAGARENSIS%20%28WOODWARD,%201895%29%20FROM%20THE%20TALBRAGAR%20FISH%20BED%20%28LATE%20JURASSIC%29%20NEAR%20GULGO.pdf

Edited by abyssunder

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library