Herb

This is a Crania sp. inarticulate brachiopod attached to a Eucalyptocrinites sp. calyx from the Silurian Waldron Shale from central Indiana. The calyx is 2 1/4" (5 cm) across. The brachiopod is about 3/4" across.(2cm). The blue circled item is a single element bryozoan, like the ones found in the lower Devonian Birdsong formation of central Tennessee.post-2520-0-92648500-1380066488_thumb.jpgpost-2520-0-80112600-1380066512_thumb.jpgpost-2520-0-72821100-1380066547_thumb.jpg

• Enjoyed 2

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

A fossil hat trick! How cool is that?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

That elemental bryozoan looks like mostly Calcium to me. :D

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

That elemental bryozoan looks like mostly Calcium to me. :D

If you look at the original it looks like a miniature volcano, you can see the zooid. I will take a better picture of one.

Edited by Herb

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

sml_gallery_2520_1335_115766.jpg

Here is one from the L.Devonian Birdsong Form.

Looks very similar to a crinoid holdfast too.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

It does but it is Ptylodictya tenuis. It's only 3-4mm wide.

Hmmm... any literature to help us newbies?

• I Agree 1

-Dave

Hmmm... any literature to help us newbies?

LINK (5th page down)

I'm not sure how good a match this is...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thanks Auspex. I have that document but I was hoping for a descriptive paper or something. So far I've only seen fossils of that species illustrated from Tennessee (in the guide that you linked to) but no where else. I can't find an entry for it on Paleodb.org either.

• I Agree 1

-Dave

tn_gallery_2520_1335_234535.jpg another from the Birdsong form. They are common in this formation.

Edited by Herb

• 8 years later...
On 10/1/2013 at 12:32 PM, Shamalama said:

Thanks Auspex. I have that document but I was hoping for a descriptive paper or something. So far I've only seen fossils of that species illustrated from Tennessee (in the guide that you linked to) but no where else. I can't find an entry for it on Paleodb.org either.

I agree. 

Firstly, Ptylodictya doesn't exist anymore. It was replaced by Ptilodictya over a hundred years ago. 

Bryozoa.net, Mindat and Paleodb.org make no mention of either Ptylodictya or Ptilodictya tenuis. 

I can't find a proper paper either. 

Looks more like a crinoid holdfast to me, some specimens of which are surrounded by encrusting bryozoa.   

Edited by Tidgy's Dad
  • I found this Informative 2

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png