Sign in to follow this  
Kman100

Fossil Site Near Nyc

Kman100

So I'm wondering if there or any good fossil sites around NYC or eastern NY, besides Big Brook nj.

Big Brook is great but I'm looking for some variety.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Fossildude19

Kman100,

Check out this website. Fossilsites - NY
Just keep in mind this list is really old, and you can be sure many sites are no longer available.
IF you search the forum for sites in New York state, you should come up with plenty of info.

I was in Gilboa a few summers ago, and found some great Devonian plants.
Google "Little Falls Trilobites" And check out Karl Wilson's Fantastic website as well.

Also google Rickard Hill Road in Schoharie, and roadcuts north of Kingston.

Hope this helps. :)
Regards!

Edited by Fossildude19

Kman100

Great! thanks!

i'll check it out!

erose

Unfortunately the few sites around the city proper are sketchy. Most of NYC is metamorphic rock and across the river it's the Palisades or swamp. But fossils do show up on the beaches and there are fossils in the Newark Basin rocks across the river in NJ above and below the Palisades diabase. Otherwise you have to get in the car and drive. Sounds like you know Big Brook and vicinity but there are also Paleozoic sites up in the NW corner of NJ around Montague. From there you either head west into Pennsylvania or up the Hudson and then west into upstate NY.

You may want to check out the NY Paleontological Society. They run field trips and have members who can share information on collecting closer to home.

Jeffrey P

The area around Kingston (near where I live) and Saugerties has a number of very good sites for Devonian inverts, and one good site for Silurian tabulate corals, less than two hours from the City. PM me for directions. You'll definately need a rock hammer and chisel. The rock can be very hard in places.