Fossil Photography Board $0

Bev

post-9628-0-37080700-1380213845_thumb.jpg

post-9628-0-50361600-1380213871_thumb.jpg

post-9628-0-95291800-1380213891_thumb.jpg

I have been chided numerous times for not having scale in my photos. And I get very frustrated trying to find a ruler, tape measure, etc. And I have tried a variety of backgrounds that just didn't help in focussing the camera on the fossil - too dark, too light, too messy, too distracting...

So, this is what I have come up with. It is a scrap of 3/4" board that I primed and painted in leftover latex exterior paint (It is a satin sheen so that it cleans easily and sheds water. Also, I used a decorative paint technique called "the woolly" which tends to hide dirt and imperfections.) , because no doubt it will be left out in the rain! I would have stained it, but it was already too weathered from being forgotten outside. :)

I did a search for centimeter and inch rulers and found a site where I could print off a whole sheet. I did that on a card stock paper I had laying around. Then I cut them out and decoupaged them onto the board with ModPodge - that will protect the paper also.

Of course I did it wrong the first time - note upper corner. And then figured out what I really wanted on the other corner with the check mark by it. :)

I thought this might help someone else in their fossil photography to get a good ID, and would reduce the stress of the members who are so kind and generous with their knowledge to ID my finds.

Bev :)

• I found this Informative 3

The more I learn, I realize the less I know.

:wacko:

Go to my

Gallery for images of Fossil Jewelry, Sculpture & Crafts

Pinned Posts:

I use craft cutting boards from the dollars store

They come in different sizes

See, you're smarter than I am! :-D

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

Bev, on 26 Sept 2013 - 12:45 PM, said:

See, you're smarter than I am! :-D

Lol, you give him too much credit.

A fossil hunter needs sharp eyes and a keen search image, a mental template that subconsciously evaluates everything he sees in his search for telltale clues. -Richard E. Leakey

http://prehistoricalberta.lefora.com

I made something similar and did my own metric grid using the cad software I design with. Just had to proof the printout with a scale ruler since printers often lie about printing at 100%.

post-1875-0-91522100-1380231691_thumb.jpg

post-1875-0-84406000-1380231729_thumb.jpg

I made something similar and did my own metric grid using the cad software I design with. Just had to proof the printout with a scale ruler since printers often lie about printing at 100%.

attachicon.gifDSCN3816.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCN5276.JPG

Very Cool! And I love your crinoid segments!

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

Ha. I too fussed and fussed with trying to find just the right background. I've tried everything from grass to concrete to manila folders to gaudy washclothes.

I've settled on placing most fossils on my (fake) wood office desk. The pattern and color are different enough for the fossils to stand out, but similar enough for the iPhone camera to properly balance the light level. For smaller fossils, I sometimes use the side of a translucent plastic tub, which provides for a clean background and serves to reduce shadows. Eventually, I'd like to get/make a glass table/stand where I can suspend fossils above any background of my choice. This will also make it easier to focus on the fossils rather than on the background. (A nice thing about blurry backgrounds is the much reduced file sizes.) For larger fossils, I still use the grass in the yard, or whatever 'feels' right.

As for scale, I use pennies. I never have to worry about misplacing them as I would a proper scale (as I'm prone to do). :)

Edited by Missourian

Context is critical.

She dose give me to much credit, but I know where you live rejd :ninja:

Why not put a scale on the lens cap of your camera

post-310-0-32455300-1380249498_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

@ Missourian I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one struggling with background and focus! Most of my pictures are now ending up on the wood floor in the living room if I have to take them inside. I'm hoping this board will help with that.

@ Grampa Dino I LOVE the lens cap idea! But I have my lens cap tied to the camera so that I don't lose it! I could lose my head if it weren't attached! LOL

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

Some good ideas here. The only thing I would recommend if printing something on paper, white might be too bright and the camera will compensate by underexposing the fossil (so I have noticed), so maybe a grey piece of paper?

Some good ideas here. The only thing I would recommend if printing something on paper, white might be too bright and the camera will compensate by underexposing the fossil (so I have noticed), so maybe a grey piece of paper?

Wrangellian,

Very good point. The background in the one I show above is actually gray. It probably could have been a shade or two darker but it does help keep the camera from overcompensating. I think if I ever get a real camera I will make a set of backgrounds of different colors and scale grids.

Bev - I just want to say what a wonderful contributor you are to this forum! Your ideas are superb and I thoroughly enjoy your posts!

~Lise MacFadden - Arkona, Ontario, Canada

Bev - I just want to say what a wonderful contributor you are to this forum! Your ideas are superb and I thoroughly enjoy your posts!

Thank you SO MUCH! :wub:

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

• 2 months later...

@ Missourian "Eventually, I'd like to get/make a glass table/stand where I can suspend fossils above any background of my choice. This will also make it easier to focus on the fossils rather than on the background. (A nice thing about blurry backgrounds is the much reduced file sizes.)"

An empty picture frame glass on empty cans or wood may just do the job for you! :-D

Go to my

Pinned Posts: