Tooth Id Needed

SeaGee

This is a tooth that belongs to a friend of mine. He asked me to help him identify it and the only info I have is that it came out of the Peace River, FL.

thanks for any help

post-1092-1229693817_thumb.jpg

post-1092-1229693849_thumb.jpg

post-1092-1229693855_thumb.jpg

Bizarre! The overall shape is tusk-like; is that a wear facet on the tip?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Auspex, I am not sure if it is wear or chipped then polished.

What struck me as odd is the "blade" type structure on either side of the enamel.

??

thanks,

SeaGee

...What struck me as odd is the "blade" type structure on either side of the enamel.

Yeah, that part is not very mammal-like...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Guest bmorefossil

yep i dont think this is a normal tooth, this seems to be a tusk from something

This is a tooth that belongs to a friend of mine. He asked me to help him identify it and the only info I have is that it came out of the Peace River, FL.

thanks for any help

The curve in the root is pretty extreme, but could it be a camel incisor ?

Guest bmorefossil
The curve in the root is pretty extreme, but could it be a camel incisor ?

i really dont know i have never seen one, i just know that tusks have a curve like this

i dont know why a camels tooth would look like this

It appears to be a tooth allright.In the first pic you can see where the enamel stops and the root begins.

It doesn't look like a land animals tooth to me.

Maybe it is supposed to be straight and it is just deformed!

Sea mammal of some sort?

thanks for any help

It appears to be a horse canine. Horse and camel canines are similar in appearance, but the horse tooth root is substantially more inflated than the camel. The camel canine is slender, flattened side-to-side for it whole length.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

The "cutting edges" have me bamboozled!

post-423-1229709717_thumb.jpg

i really dont know i have never seen one, i just know that tusks have a curve like this

i dont know why a camels tooth would look like this

I found a camel incisor in the Peace river which I swore was a marine mammal tooth. Someone in the Tampa Bay fossil club i.d. it as camel for me. It also could be a deformed seal tooth also.

Guest bmorefossil
It appears to be a tooth allright.In the first pic you can see where the enamel stops and the root begins.

It doesn't look like a land animals tooth to me.

Maybe it is supposed to be straight and it is just deformed!

Sea mammal of some sort?

i dont think so i dont see any sign of this tooth being deformed, it looks natural to me, i think obsessed found a tooth with a curve almost as much a this one but his tooth was much thicker, this tooth is round and skinny

It appears to be a horse canine. Horse and camel canines are similar in appearance, but the horse tooth root is substantially more inflated than the camel. The camel canine is slender, flattened side-to-side for it whole length.

I agree Harry, now that you mention it I believe my camel incisor root is more flattened. I'm still out of town so I don't have it to look at.

The "cutting edges" have me bamboozled!

Are they "cutting edges" or has a layer of enamel partially broken away?

KOF, Bill.

Welcome to the forum, all new members

www.ukfossils check it out.

Guest bmorefossil

harry i have never seen a horse tooth like this, are they rare, and do you have a jaw to show me exactly how it would fit in the mouth?

harry i have never seen a horse tooth like this, are they rare, and do you have a jaw to show me exactly how it would fit in the mouth?

The front teeth in this Equus jaw are not the best part, but you can see how the teeth are positioned:

post-42-1229717406_thumb.jpg

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

The front teeth in this Equus jaw are not the best part, but you can see how the teeth are positioned:

post-42-1229717406_thumb.jpg

Cool!

thanks Harry,

that's what I'll tell the owner..also, the far canine in your pic appears to have the flattend out edges also.