A Few Fossils For Id

SeaGee

For one, no cetacean has ridges like that on its palate. Cetacean palates are basically flat and smooth, or have a *slight* ventral keel to them. This thing has a weird ridge Cetacean rostra typically also do not fracture transversely (i.e. sideways, in a horizontal fashion). It doesn't have distinct maxillae and premaxillae, which it would if it were in fact an odontocete rostrum.

I'm still not convinced, not by a long shot. We need a photo of the other side to say anything more about possible cetacean affinities.

Bobby

a couple pics of the other side, hopefully they help

thanks

post-1092-1229957540_thumb.jpg

post-1092-1229957731_thumb.jpg

Here are a few more pictures to compare your piece to. B)B)B):D

I think it's likely that the bumps on the "mystery fossil" are not the tooth nubs, but that the divots between are the eroded sockets.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I think it's likely that the bumps on the "mystery fossil" are not the tooth nubs, but that the divots between are the eroded sockets.

Quite so! And the seam along the long axis is a medial suture.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Thats certainly a possibility - good point, bmorefossil and tracer. Anyone on here know much on crocodilian rostra? I know that there is a small croc called Thecachampsa from the Chesapeake Group and Pungo River Limestone.

Bobby

The thing about the crocodile rostra (at least with Thecachampsa) is that the tooth sockets are not distributed evenly - not all in a single line and not all the same distance apart.

I can't speak for gators.