Shark Teeth Id's For Christmas

gwe106

Me and my mom have gone fossil hunting at the cliffs together since this summer when I first got into collecting so I was going to make her a shark tooth display of sorts for christmas. Anyway, since I'm new to this hobby I don't know most of the sharks so I'm just posting a picture of a few I would like to give her and if anyone could identify them for me that would be awesome. You can just look at them as 1-9 from left to right like reading a book. Thanks guys and gals. And I was gonna pick out some more so if anyone knows of a good website to help identify them that would be cool too.

post-1057-1229743281_thumb.jpg

The first obvious one I can name off the bat is the one under 1, 5 I believe?

Physogaleus contortus, an extinct tiger shark. Nice tooth. I'll look a little on the others

Turok1copy.png

Me and my mom have gone fossil hunting at the cliffs together since this summer when I first got into collecting so I was going to make her a shark tooth display of sorts for christmas. Anyway, since I'm new to this hobby I don't know most of the sharks so I'm just posting a picture of a few I would like to give her and if anyone could identify them for me that would be awesome. You can just look at them as 1-9 from left to right like reading a book. Thanks guys and gals. And I was gonna pick out some more so if anyone knows of a good website to help identify them that would be cool too.

post-1057-1229743281_thumb.jpg

#5 is a galeocerdo sp. = tiger shark. 6,8,9, are hemipristis serra = snaggletooth. #7 is a sand tiger. The others I'm not sure, but I'm sure someone will be able to i.d. them for you. Nice teeth. A riker box makes a nice display case. Great x-mas present

Guest bmorefossil

on the first day of christmas....... oh thats something else sorry

the first tooth you have is a type of (Whaler Sharks)

The Whaler Sharks are a large group of sharks, with over 57 extant species. They are found virtually all over the globe. They feed on a variety of prey, from bony fish, other sharks and rays, and squid Whaler Sharks were also very common in the Miocene seas. Teeth from the Whaler Shark genus are among the most common teeth found at many places in the Chesapeake group. It can be difficult to distinguish between many of these species based on their fossil teeth alone. I just call them Carcharhinus teeth, yours could be a dusky.

2. this is a Isurus hastalis (Agassiz, 1843)

(exctinct Giant Mako Shark)

Identification based on Kent (1994) & Purdy et al (2001).

This was one of the larger Mako sharks. Some teeth can get to be over 3", which make for a very large shark (over 20 feet in length). It lived from the Oligocene into the Pliocene.

This is the species whose predecessors are thought by some to have evolved into the extant Great White (Carcharodon carcharias). If this is the case, it should be called Cosmopolitodus hastalis.

However, Purdy et al (2001) provides evidence against this, including Mitochondrial DNA sequences that estimate the Carcharodon origins in the Paleocene or early Eocene, which is much to early if Isurus evolved into Carcharodon.

3. this is another isurus hastalis, mako

4. this is another species of Carcharhinus teeth

5. this is a Galeocerdo contortus (Gibbs, 1849)

(Tiger Shark)

This species of Tiger Shark is very common along the U.S. East Coast deposits, but rarely found along the U.S. West Coast deposits. This species Lived from the upper Oligocene and became extinct in the Miocene.

6,8,9. all three of these teeth are Hemipristis serra (Agassiz, 1843)

(Snaggeltooth Shark)

This species lived from the late Oligocene into the early Pleistocene. They are commonly called Snaggeltooth Sharks due to the large serrations on their teeth. Species of Hemipristis are extant today, however, they are only found in tropical waters, and are much smaller than the fossil species. The fossil species are also found worldwide. number 6 is an upper tooth, the other two are lowers, i love the snaggletooth sharks teeth because the lowers are so different from the uppers, very cool!!!

7. this is a sand tiger shark,Carcharias sp.

Identification based on Kent (1994, pp.39-43).

Some Sand Tiger species can reach lengths of about 10 feet. Their fang like teeth are ideal for grasping fish. Their diet consists mostly of fish and sometimes crustaceans.

Looks like Bmore pretty much nailed it with one exception. #5 is Physogaleus contortus. Galeocerdo contortus is no longer a valid name. It is not uncommon for these teeth to have some strong serrations at the "notch" of the tooth. These are also fairly common at Sharktooth Hill near Bakersfield CA.

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Guest bmorefossil

oh thanks man i had no idea they had changed the name, when did they do this, i still know a bunch of people that are using Galeocerdo contortus.

oh thanks man i had no idea they had changed the name, when did they do this, i still know a bunch of people that are using Galeocerdo contortus.

There is a link around here somewhere. To elasmo I think. That is the only place I have seen it. I'm not sure what steps have to be taken to make the change what everyone goes by. (I always bring up Petuch as a good example...he "named" a lot of different Ecphora species which were really just one species with slight variations that are normal within that species...so he made all these names, some people went by them but overall they were cast aside.) Who renamed the Genus for Galeocedro contortus? Was it well founded or just an opinion piece?

Guest bmorefossil
Who renamed the Genus for Galeocedro contortus? Was it well founded or just an opinion piece?

yea i have no idea i could swear it was still Galeocedro, you would have to know of the change so you can change the wording in the museums books for the teeth you have right?

on the first day of christmas....... oh thats something else sorry

the first tooth you have is a type of (Whaler Sharks)

The Whaler Sharks are a large group of sharks, with over 57 extant species. They are found virtually all over the globe. They feed on a variety of prey, from bony fish, other sharks and rays, and squid Whaler Sharks were also very common in the Miocene seas. Teeth from the Whaler Shark genus are among the most common teeth found at many places in the Chesapeake group. It can be difficult to distinguish between many of these species based on their fossil teeth alone. I just call them Carcharhinus teeth, yours could be a dusky.

2. this is a Isurus hastalis (Agassiz, 1843)

(exctinct Giant Mako Shark)

This was one of the larger Mako sharks. Some teeth can get to be over 3", which make for a very large shark (over 20 feet in length). It lived from the Oligocene into the Pliocene.

This is the species whose predecessors are thought by some to have evolved into the extant Great White (Carcharodon carcharias). If this is the case, it should be called Cosmopolitodus hastalis.

However, Purdy et al (2001) provides evidence against this, including Mitochondrial DNA sequences that estimate the Carcharodon origins in the Paleocene or early Eocene, which is much to early if Isurus evolved into Carcharodon.

3. this is another isurus hastalis, mako

4. this is another species of Carcharhinus teeth

5. this is a Galeocerdo contortus (Gibbs, 1849)

(Tiger Shark)

This species of Tiger Shark is very common along the U.S. East Coast deposits, but rarely found along the U.S. West Coast deposits. This species Lived from the upper Oligocene and became extinct in the Miocene.

6,8,9. all three of these teeth are Hemipristis serra (Agassiz, 1843)

(Snaggeltooth Shark)

This species lived from the late Oligocene into the early Pleistocene. They are commonly called Snaggeltooth Sharks due to the large serrations on their teeth. Species of Hemipristis are extant today, however, they are only found in tropical waters, and are much smaller than the fossil species. The fossil species are also found worldwide. number 6 is an upper tooth, the other two are lowers, i love the snaggletooth sharks teeth because the lowers are so different from the uppers, very cool!!!

7. this is a sand tiger shark,Carcharias sp.

Identification based on Kent (1994, pp.39-43).

Some Sand Tiger species can reach lengths of about 10 feet. Their fang like teeth are ideal for grasping fish. Their diet consists mostly of fish and sometimes crustaceans.

Just a side note, I have found many Galeacerdo Contorus teeth @ STH . But seeing that the Round Mountain Silt is Early Miocene might explain that.

Ward & Bonavia (2001:138) re-classified this species. If you look at other Physogaleus species, you will see that P. contortus looks a lot more similar to them than to the Galeocerdos. Some dealers have recognized and accepted the name change, while others still refer to the teeth as Galeocerdo. The same thing may happen with Notorhynchus primigenius. Elasmo says that the teeth traditionally ascribed to this species are virtually identical to the extant species, N. cepedianus. The latter name would take precedent and N. primigenius may simply be a junior synonym and therefore invalid.

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

its a long slow process in which eventually (as long as the name change is deemed legitmate) subsequent shark tooth workers will use the new nomenclature. it can take decades to catch on.

yea i have no idea i could swear it was still Galeocedro, you would have to know of the change so you can change the wording in the museums books for the teeth you have right?

---Wie Wasser schleift den Stein, wir steigen und fallen---

its a long slow process in which eventually (as long as the name change is deemed legitmate) subsequent shark tooth workers will use the new nomenclature. it can take decades to catch on.

When and where are physogaleous teeth found? What sepperates them from galeocerdo sp.?

When and where are physogaleous teeth found? What sepperates them from galeocerdo sp.?

Physogaleus contortus teeth are common in the miocene sediments of eastern North America as well as Sharktooth Hill on the left coast. Other species can be found on the east coast from the eocene on. The specifics on the differences between Physogaleus and Galeocerdo would be in the paper I referred to earlier. Elasmo simply states that it is based on tooth design. Regardless, Galeocerdo contortus is as valid as Brontosaurus for a name.

Guest bmorefossil
Physogaleus contortus teeth are common in the miocene sediments of eastern North America as well as Sharktooth Hill on the left coast. Other species can be found on the east coast from the eocene on. The specifics on the differences between Physogaleus and Galeocerdo would be in the paper I referred to earlier. Elasmo simply states that it is based on tooth design. Regardless, Galeocerdo contortus is as valid as Brontosaurus for a name.

thanks northern, are there books out or any good resources that i could use to keep up with these things?

So is it not a Tiger Shark anymore? What common name would go with Physogaleus contortus?

So is it not a Tiger Shark anymore? What common name would go with Physogaleus contortus?

Extinct ground shark or extinct requiem shark would be correct, although still pretty vague.

Ah so was originally correct? :faint:

That's surprising, and my first shark tooth I.D....

a little on the species, from Bill Heim of Elasmo.com:

Physogaleus "contortus" (GIBBES, 1849)

Another common tooth in the Pungo. This tooth is much thicker in cross section than "G". aduncus and has a noticable twist (contorted) in the tip of blade when looking down along it. Unlike "G". aduncus which may have continued to evolve into G. cuvier, "contortus" had reached its high water mark. Extremely common in the mid-Miocene, by the late Miocene, it was very rare and had become extinct by the Pliocene

Turok1copy.png