Suborder Asaphina (Salter 1864),
Superfamily Cyclopygoidea (Raymond 1925),
Nileidae (Angelin 1854)
Platypeltoides sp (according to Richard Fortney) not Symphysurus with antennae
Upper Fezouata Formation,
lower and middle Arenig
Lower Ordovician,
Oulad Slimane, Near Zagora Dra Valley , Morocco

I really had it id'd as Symphysurus, and a bunch of folks responded to Sam Gohns posting of the images and agreed. But Richard Fortey who redescribed the type Symphysurus said he thinks this is more primitive and likely a species (maybe undescribed) of Platypeltoides. There is one Platypeltoides sp. i find on internet that like Symphysurus and other nileids has 8 thoractic segments like mine. Most Platypeltoides have 7 but this is different. But of course it is special part and counterpart with antennae, wow my first Asaphid with soft parts... anyway thought those who have not seen this on trilobite group on facebook when sam posted would enjoy soon to be Trilobite of Month on his site!

EDIT: Images removed by topic starter

Spectacular trilobite! I had 2 bugs get the TOM award for May and Nov. 2001, but they were 'source unknown'.... until now!

Congrats on another great acquisition and getting another TOM.

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Spectacular trilobite! I had 2 bugs get the TOM award for May and Nov. 2001, but they were 'source unknown'.... until now!

Congrats on another great acquisition and getting another TOM.

Thanks Scott, this is a cool bug, I was blown away when it was first shown to me. Same source as my new little lichid (which was a TOM the year before I acquired it :) ) I would have never imagined even acquiring an Asaphid with soft parts in my wildest dreams. Kinda of exciting to put it midlly. Still in process of shipping and Sam wants me to take a few photos that light it even better for the TOM we are hoping to have it there in November!

russ

It is always nice to have ones specimens as TOM on Sams site!

Confirmation you made it to the trilo 'big time'! :P

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Confirmation you made it to the trilo 'big time'! :P

Yes my addiction or disease as my wife sees it is full blown, no hope for me :rofl::rofl::rofl:

• 2 weeks later...

Now that I have specimen in hand a few more photos can be taken and posted on this cool Ordovician trilobite, looks to have the gut preserved also from what I can see:

Here are a few more interesting ones, first some closeup of the anntennae and more views of negative counterpart....

Just super, Russ! :wub:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Archived