Now What Part Of Fish Is This?

Guest bmorefossil

someone told me puffer fish? This is 3" long so i thought it might be to big for puffer

Kind of looks like a worn whale molar. Are there any signs of enamal?

Guest bmorefossil
Kind of looks like a worn whale molar. Are there any signs of enamal?

here is the thing, one of the others i have is worn and i was thinking the same as you, whale tooth but its not, i dug this out, its flat on one side and round on the other

here is the thing, one of the others i have is worn and i was thinking the same as you, whale tooth but its not, i dug this out, its flat on one side and round on the other

i'll be interested to see what everyone comes up with.

im pretty sure its fish thats as much as i know

It looks like a Tilley bone; I have a bucket-full of them.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

It looks like a puffer fish skull element like you might find at Lee Creek but three inches would make it huge for a puffer. Maybe another type of fish?

Guest bmorefossil
It looks like a puffer fish skull element like you might find at Lee Creek but three inches would make it huge for a puffer. Maybe another type of fish?

yea maybe something else, i guess ill keep looking around

Guest bmorefossil
It looks like a Tilley bone; I have a bucket-full of them.

see what was i just saying, all these tilly bones!!! lol i wish i knew all the different forms of the tilly bones because i have a bunch

...i wish i knew all the different forms of the tilly bones because i have a bunch

Given their pathological nature, the morphology is nearly infinite.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Guest bmorefossil
Given their pathological nature, the morphology is nearly infinite.

wow really, man i had no idea, could the size of this one help me find the fish it came from?

...could the size of this one help me find the fish it came from?

I think "bony fish" is the best you can do for most of them.

Jayson, on another note, if you read this, sorry for spelling your name incorrectly. My bad! It's kinda like when people call me Kelvin <_<. Honestly, I was just typing too fast! I tried to correct my error quickly but not quick enough, LOL.

Kevin Wilson

Guest bmorefossil

yep looks like a gill plate which i was thinking it was but i still think its something other than puffer, i think 3 inches very big, im sure there is a larger fish that has a similar looking gill plate

I had about 3 bones that looked a bit like that, and a fellow told me they were the bigger part of a ray/skate jaw bone. Thats my two cents.

RB

Guest bmorefossil
I had about 3 bones that looked a bit like that, and a fellow told me they were the bigger part of a ray/skate jaw bone. Thats my two cents.

RB

ill check on that but it really does look like a gill cover of some kind, thanks RJB

Maybe there were some big ones back in the Miocene. The Oceanic Puffer (Lagocephalus lagocephalus) grows to over 36" long of Indonesia, and the Smooth Puffer (Lagocephalus laevigatus) from the Atlantic grows to over 40" long. And the North-West Blowfish (Lagocephalus sceleratus) from the Pacific grows to a whopping 44"! That's one big bag of air! The most common puffer along the Western Atlantic inshore waters is the Northern Puffer, grows to about 12" long.

Porcupine fish also get pretty large, 36" for the largest species.

All of them have similar opercular plates.

That said, from what I could find on the web, and there isn't much, there aren't many fish with that shape gill plates. Maybe triggerfish and filefish are similar, but when did they evolve?

Kevin Wilson

Guest bmorefossil

that is true, you would think that there would be larger ones found in PCS and not in Maryland, there might be people with larger ones and they dont post pictures.

I have yet to find one in Maryland, so you've got a pretty good find IMO. That said, I'm searching over older material most of the time. I've found mouth plates but not here, in SC. I would think that I'd find some gill plates once in a while though. I have collected some Pliocene Yorktown Formation in Virginia before and found the mouth plates, so maybe I'll get lucky and find the gill plates next time :)

Kevin Wilson

Guest bmorefossil
I have yet to find one in Maryland, so you've got a pretty good find IMO. That said, I'm searching over older material most of the time. I've found mouth plates but not here, in SC. I would think that I'd find some gill plates once in a while though. I have collected some Pliocene Yorktown Formation in Virginia before and found the mouth plates, so maybe I'll get lucky and find the gill plates next time :)

yea ill see if i can find the 3 that look the same and get a picture of them next to a ruler.

post-17-1230149786_thumb.jpg

yea ill see if i can find the 3 that look the same and get a picture of them next to a ruler.

It seems strange to me to think that those can be gill plates. Im no fish expert in any since of the word, but it would be very interesting if you do get those ID'd.

RB