Time To Drool!

Shellseeker

Nice Colombian mammoth baby tooth but Proboscidea teeth of any kind are very rare. Not like shark teeth where billions exist.

I am sorry. I was not clear -- In nature Proboscidea teeth are very rare compared to shark teeth horse teeth etc. In this collection, which is not proportional to nature, there are a lot of Proboscidea teeth compared single fossils like the 2 others in this thread.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

• 1 month later...

UPDATE: and time for me to fall on my sword. On December 6th I arranged a meeting between Richard Hulbert and the owner of these fossils. Richard confirmed that the 2nd fossil was indeed an upper canine from a Sloth and brought calipers to measure the carnassial. I had guesstimated a much larger tooth than reality. Richard measured it as 1.6 inches ( 40.64 mm) and confirmed it as Smilodon. Both RIch and Worthy55 were correct.

RIchard stated that this was only the 2nd Smilodon tooth recorded as found in the Peace River.

I need to avoid estimating from photos. :(

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Could the first be giant beaver?

When I first saw the 1st tooth, I was thinking Rhino tusk, which was a possibility in the Miocene area it was found. I actually had never seen a canine from a giant sloth. The key characteristic is that there is no enamel, just a layer of different texture dentin over a core of dentin. Richard Hulbert and others associated with UF_MNH, which has many complete sloth skeletons, are certain that this is a sloth canine.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/11314-whale-tooth-no-sloth/

These seem to be very rare!! In this shape, mostly in museums.

"Time to drool"?

Dude, when following the Forum, I am in constant danger of dehydration!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!