Peace River Sites Now?

catmaggie

I know the Peace is still slightly high for the best fossiling and clarity, but we still may give it a go tomorrow as we have the day off. Any input on the best spots to go when the river is still a bit high? We will likely take kayaks. We usually go to Wauchula, Gardner River Rd, Thousand Trails....head up to Charlie via kayak....any thoughts welcome!!!!!

And, if you think we'd be wasting our time and the river is too high to sift in general let us know that, too! Seems it could be on the cusp!

We were down there last week and it was doable. Water was waist to chest deep in some places. It's a couple feet lower though this week.

I have been out --- You need to know some high water spots that you scoped out during the dry season. So think about those locations that were too shallow to dig back in April or better still had exposed gravel banks.

It is not all that productive because usually those locations have been dug, but with the fast currents/high water some gravel has been moved around since you were last out.

we've know em and that's our focus. SO, perhaps we can give some insight tomorrow to the group. We will take some pics and keep you all posted on what we find with the viz. Our current plan is perhaps Arcadia then Wauchula, but already know our Wauchula and Gardner hot spots will be sunk likely...so gonna start hi ground....more to come tomorrow/this wk after our findings!!! any intel before a.m. much appreciated!!!!

SO, last wkend, the river was still high. I'd call it a "scouting" opportunity. Since it was still deep, it was hard to dig, and the river was moving too much. Being still bit of a newbie, I kinda thought it would be good to be an "early bird", but didn't get "the worm". What we seemed to experience were "covered" holes with surface material washed about. We just could not get deep enough.

I kinda thought we might find some nice stuff having surfaced, but we couldn't get in the "middle" in the places we went, and if we got to a digable spot, couldn't get deep enough. Of any, I'd say at the current height, perhaps Thousands would be the place to find some small finds, at least, but Garder was too high, and Brownville was not great at all, but then again, we were at the island barely raised.

Went to Gardner and walked along the shore, but didn't make it to Charlie.

Beware, the drift is stronger than you'd think....esp in places along Zolfo. Go with a friend. Good thing my husband could extend a shovel at one point. At 5'6 and 135 lbs, I was headed downstream fast when I sunk into a hole all of a sudden.

Will post finds, but not a lot. Bone frags, shards, rays...The Peace still is so darn elusive. I guess we still gotta dig deeper????

I have been going out -- went yesterday and will go again tomorrow -- for exactly the reasons you state, I only have been semi successful -- currant a little too fast, can not dig deep enough, and where I can reach the gravel , the material has been worked before. Found a very small posterior meg, a heavily worn horse tooth, and 3 pretty good larger lower hemis..

I am enjoying the sunshine and water having missed it the last 3 months.

Same here....i miss the river...but discouraged...and hoping there are opps with the river still high....

Looking forward to hearing about future trips as the water levels decrease.

Have never been- maybe considering a trip in the spring?

Living vicariously through ya'll, for now.

Living vicariously through ya'll, for now.

Fantastic use of the word ya'll...

just thought I'd point that out since people here in Colorado don't seem to consider it a word...they don't like ain't either...strange group of homosapiens in this area....

hey now don't be hasty, I miss getting to use those words! everyone out here is so judgmental :P

It is nice to see them again!

If anyone has thoughts on finding teeth closer to bartow/ft meade sure would love to know.....we have kayaks.