New Casting Technique

BobWill

In answering a post by DarrelElliot recently I found information about this new product for easy cast making. You simply press this stuff into a footprint or external mold and pull it away. It wouldn't be good for some things but I was wondering if anyone has tried it. I watched a demonstration last spring at Spring Creek in Cooke County Texas and was very "impressed" (pun intended) :)

http://vertpaleo.org/PDFS/f1/f16e927e-e878-4350-8bef-dd1d4f1ea9f8.pdf

Very interesting! Thank you for posting this.

Makes me wonder if "Great Stuff" expandable foam wouldn't be another alternative for making casts...

Bev :)

• I found this Informative 1

The more I learn, I realize the less I know.

:wacko:

Go to my

Gallery for images of Fossil Jewelry, Sculpture & Crafts

Pinned Posts:

Great stuff gets a bit too sticky directly on the fossil, but I have used it with saran wrap to make custom foam padding. I'm also using it to make a toy-like dinosaur model.

• 6 months later...

The foam is good if your print is fairly shallow, deeper prints end up with flat places that spoil the results. We found some that orthopedic doctors used for forming custom shoe infills and that worked great. A definite downside is that you need to treat the foam with absolute care, the sligtest pressure will make a non-reversible dent in it.

I would recommend a silicon putty for footprint casting- it is simple to use, robust, quick and makes very detailed casts. The putty is great because it can stick to vertical or upside down surfaces. If your fossils are flat, a 2-part RTV silicon mould is my favourite (just spray some release agent on the fossil first) but it is not good for very porous specimens as the silicon will permeate the specimen and stay there forever.

Edited by tooth_claw

Very interesting I would never have thought to try that. Too bad these are no footprints up here to try it out on.