Knightia Of The Round Table

bone digger

Here is my latest and hopefully greatest prep job! I belive it is a fairly large Knightia eocaena. It is from the 18 inch layer of the GRF and will be right around 8" when done, max size for these guys is about 10". First thing I had to do was square up the plate with the tile saw, problem was it was -20C today. Had to bring the saw in and warm it up for 1/2 an hour before it would even run, lol! So far it's prepping out reallllly good and the matrix is separating nice from the bone. The outline of the fish looks to be perfect and man is he ever chubby!!! :)

Minus 20? Name her "Mrs. Paul's"!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Here is my latest and hopefully greatest prep job! I belive it is a fairly large Knightia eocaena. It is from the 18 inch layer of the GRF and will be right around 8" when done, max size for these guys is about 10". First thing I had to do was square up the plate with the tile saw, problem was it was -20C today. Had to bring the saw in and warm it up for 1/2 an hour before it would even run, lol! So far it's prepping out reallllly good and the matrix is separating nice from the bone. The outline of the fish looks to be perfect and man is he ever chubby!!! :)

If you look closely at pic 1 and 3 you can see very clearly parallel ribs. the belly to back ratio also is a key indicator that this is certainly a Diplomystus dentatus. and from the looks of it a very nice one at that.

Brock

keep us posted with pics of the progress.

If you look closely at pic 1 and 3 you can see very clearly parallel ribs. the belly to back ratio also is a key indicator that this is certainly a Diplomystus dentatus. and from the looks of it a very nice one at that.

Brock

I never open a file larger than 100kb's, but after reading Brocks post, I opened #1 and clearly see what he sees. It took about 3 minutes to open the dang thing though!!! Sorry Bone digger, I agree with brock, it looks very much like a diplo and not a knightia.

RB

Brock

Thanks for the ID Brock, I wasn't sure which species it was, I thought it could be a diplo! I think thats even cooler, a little baby Diplo! :D

I never open a file larger than 100kb's, but after reading Brocks post, I opened #1 and clearly see what he sees. It took about 3 minutes to open the dang thing though!!! Sorry Bone digger, I agree with brock, it looks very much like a diplo and not a knightia.

RB

If the images were smaller than 100k there would be no point in opening them, they wouldn't get any bigger lol! How about 150k'ish :)

If the images were smaller than 100k there would be no point in opening them, they wouldn't get any bigger lol! How about 150k'ish :)

Hey Bone digger fella. I know they wouldnt get any bigger, its just that I have a very slow 56k modem and it takes a long time for my computer to open files. If I tried to open some of the pics that people post that are over 500 and up to 1.5 million, I would have to open them, then go prep for an hour or two, then come back and hope that its done? It really sucks to live way out here sometimes.....

RB

Hey Bone digger fella. I know they wouldnt get any bigger, its just that I have a very slow 56k modem and it takes a long time for my computer to open files. If I tried to open some of the pics that people post that are over 500 and up to 1.5 million, I would have to open them, then go prep for an hour or two, then come back and hope that its done? It really sucks to live way out here sometimes.....

RB

There are a couple members who post both a big file for folks with high-speed, and a reduced file for the modem crowd. Nice to have options...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Ya, I forget sometimes what it was like to be on dial up! Looking around at a buch of pics 75-100k does seem to be a good size. I can open up big pictures really fast but sometimes I don't bother to look at them cause I don't like scrolling around to try and see what it is I'm looking at!!!

got a little more done today, the scales are sooooooooooo thin in some places. I'm finding it much slower than when I was doing the prisci's. Could it be that since it is a juvinile the scales are not as thick? Or do Diplo's normally have thiner scales?

yes diplos are thinner. priscis are also very thick. mioplosis is probably the hardest common fish. the belly scales are like onion skins.

Brock

bmore

because the fossil is in a shale that has many distinct layers, the rock will somewhat pop off the fossil exposing the scales. the best method is to know where they are going to be. it is best to always start with the vertebrae as they are some of the thickest bones in the fish. from there you are able to orient the fish and know approx. how deep the scales are goinr to be. once you have found the scales you can then follow that same layer of rock and not risk damaging them. this usually works but not always, sometimes the fish "jumps" layers. reall yyou just need a soft touch and practice. you will almost inevitably ( except in the case of pin vise prep) poke a few holes in the scales. if you are careful they will not be deep and won't detract from the specimen. other times a small dot of watercolor paint can hide the damage. the littel prisci i posted earlier has a few small dots of paint, but i dare you to find them.

Brock

In some places on this Diplo where the scales are very thin I can get the matrix down so the scales just look a little cloudy but if I try and take any more off the scales go to! Once I put a little vinac on the colour comes right up and you cant notice anyways.

use an art gum eraser to get the last film off the fish. you need to use some pressure but not too much. als try to follow the ribs and not go against the grain. it will break them off if you do. after the eraser then a stiff bristled paint brush to remove the shavings. some workable fixative only on the fish not the matrix (spray into the lid and use a small brush) i use a semi gloss or even a mat finish to avoid the fake shiny look.

brock

Thanks, I have tried the eraser and in some places it works but the bones are very fragile and I don't like going anywhere near them with it! So far it's looking A-1 :)

there are a couple here, but most of them i don't photograph before i sell them. just too many to keep track of.

http://picasaweb.google.com/ebrocklds/Paleoforms#

there are also some pictures of the unprepared stuff that i will get to some day. there is a little of averything in there

also here is a palm i did two years ago

http://picasaweb.google.com/ebrocklds/FossilPalmSabalites#

Brock

i'm kind of in shock from seeing this stuff. i guess i somehow missed the extent to which you're involved in major projects. and the stuff all looks very, very good! i would say i want to be like you when i grow up, but it's too late...

HOLY ***** ********* ****** ******* **** ****** *** **** ** Brock! I take it this is more than a hobby for you!

Where do you.......

How do you........

I don't know what to say!

I take it you have a company or work for a company that preps this stuff out for people!?

Do you have a website?

What about all the Green River stuff? Do you have a quarry? Or do you just spend seriously extended periods of time at one? WOW!

I hope I didn't ask to many personal ?'s, but I refrained myself from aking the other 50 or so running through my mind right now!!!

I've got to go take something to stop these convulsions :faint:

HOLY ***** ********* ****** ******* **** ****** *** **** ** Brock! I take it this is more than a hobby for you!

Where do you.......

How do you........

I don't know what to say!

I take it you have a company or work for a company that preps this stuff out for people!?

Do you have a website?

What about all the Green River stuff? Do you have a quarry? Or do you just spend seriously extended periods of time at one? WOW!

I hope I didn't ask to many personal ?'s, but I refrained myself from aking the other 50 or so running through my mind right now!!!

I've got to go take something to stop these convulsions :faint:

Brock's pretty neat, ain't he?

Have I mentioned lately how fortunate we are to have him on our little Forum?