North Central Texas - Cretaceous

lilthinkr

Found this symmetrical piece, almost clam-like around the area we typically find sandstone/clam mash and texigraphea. This piece has an odd weight with symmetrical fading of "peppery" or pin-prick black dots. The piece also has bone-like pitting in areas where there is a "line" or streak of lighter mineral.

Puzzled.

Here is a description of the area:

The surface geology of the North Texas region is mainly limestone, shale, clay and sandstone that was deposited during the middle portion of the Cretaceous Period (110-90 million years ago locally). During most of the Cretaceous Texas was covered with a shallow to moderate depth sea that extended at times from Canada to the Gulf so the fossils will be of marine animals and plant life. There WERE brief periods when the sea level was low enough that dry land was exposed and the dinosaurs roamed. Areas to the west are "Pennsylvanian" age (300 mya) and "Permian" age (280 mya).

Well, it's really pretty, but I don't think it is a fossil; looks like a stream-polished cobble to me.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Archived