Two Leg Bones For Your Cogitative Perusal

tracer

the two bones are not associated, but i just didn't feel like making you look at two separate posts. both are from our coastal haunts of pleistoceney persuasion.

first one, just under 5" long, around 1/2" thick in the middle, and a bit of a split for a short distance in the distal end.

post-488-1229993923_thumb.jpg

post-488-1229993955_thumb.jpg

ok, now on to the second one. this one is a bit over 6" long, and it's got the funky design on the end of the distal end. is that just where an epiphysis <==how do you spel thet? came off or is this a bone from an animal constructed with some sort of tinker-toy-type pieces or something? you think i'm kiddin', but i'm not. i really don't know snarge, which is the only reason i started coming here, before i got hooked on actin' the fool, which is a whole nother issue that i don't have time to deal with whilst i'm engaged in fossil identification science, thank you.

post-488-1229994311_thumb.jpg

post-488-1229994350_thumb.jpg

post-488-1229994388_thumb.jpg

Guest bmorefossil

both are whole and not very long, so i would say that they both came from something like a deer, that is my guess, the second is missing its Epiphyses that is what would be on that one end. ill start looking around the net see if i can find anything that looks like the two leg bones you found, but im sure someone will tell you before i can help you out

the second one i find interesting, it is thick compared to the other one. Bisons have thick bones but i dont know if they can be found that short

man, if that's from a deer, it must have been a fetal deer. maybe a fetal deer and a fetal bison. hey, wait! micromorph populations! they ate pyritized grass and paw paws and shrunk! man, one of these days, i'm going to find something rarer than auspex' paleohen's teeth and post it on here and get the world's biggest ego rush when everybody oohs and aahs and gushes warm affirmations. then i'll be insufferable for like three days until tj finds something better. hobbies are fun. wasn't it dave barry who said something to the effect that there's a fine line between hobby and mental illness?

Guest bmorefossil
First one is definitely a deer, second perhaps a camel... not sure.

yea i was thinking the second one was camel, i saw that the camels leg bone splits on the end like that but this one is not split very much

Archived