Florida Law : Fossils And Artifacts.

wunderkammer

Artifacts are unique -- human artifacts.

There is a lot of sensitivity here -- Throughout history because of the $$$$ values, grave robbers have violated archeological sites -- cemeteries, pyramids temples etc etc.

That has even happened in Florida with destruction of Calusa and paleo-indian mounds, villages, graves. Native Indian tribes believe that they respect and own any and all rights relating to Indian artifacts. State Laws vary. but Florida once ignored these issues and now has passed laws with serious restrictions and penalties. Arrowheads and spear points just got packages up with other human artifacts.

I have some mixed feelings on artifacts, but I have no problem with laws that protect human bones and teeth.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Okay, that makes a lot of sense. So if a Floridian native American found an arrow head on his or her reservation could they keep it?

Okay, that makes a lot of sense. So if a Floridian native American found an arrow head on his or her reservation could they keep it?

Sorry I was not clear -- Florida like all other States protects Private Property rights. If anyone finds something like an arrowhead on their own property or on private property where they had the owner's permission no problem -- you can keep it.

All the Florida laws, rules, regulations, apply to Federal State and publicly owned property.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Most states will not allow you to keep human artifacts if they might be of scientific importance. Loose artifacts, arrow points , pot shards etc. are OK if they are not found in a State or National park site.. Burials, village sites, human remains are a no no. Most States prohibit the collection of vertebrate fossils also. Random pieces such as those found in ie.. Peace River are usually ok also. If you find a whole critter you need to notify the experts. You also need a permit to collect vertebrate fossils in Florida (Florida Geological survey)

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

By Peace River I was talking about vertebrate fossils, sorry if I was not clear.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Archived