Another First From The Bay

bmorefossil

It's always nice when you can find something new when collecting and Saturday I was able to do just that. I planned on meeting up with easternshore88 to embark on a kayaking adventure but before he arrived I went to a close by collecting spot to have a look around before he arrived. Another hunter arrived shortly after I did and come to find out it was cowsharks. It's always nice to run into forum members when your out and about. We stopped to chat for a bit and as we were doing so daryl found a beautiful bramble shark tooth, being as rare as they are I had to take some pictures of the tooth. A few minutes later I got a text from easternshore88 and went back to meet up with him, he brought along some beautiful teeth he had found and I showed him some teeth from the spot we were going to. After a short drive and relaxing paddle along the bay we arrived to the site to find it empty which is odd for a weekend and very nice collecting conditions, unfortunately there was a little to much sand in the better spots at this particular site and come to find out someone had already walked the beach before we arrived. We were not about to let that spoil our day. I like to pick up everything I find that stands out, give it a once over and if it's nothing or something commonly found I'll toss it back for the next guy, some people only pick up teeth shaped objects but there is so much more to be found than just teeth. In the water I noticed a black square, I thought to myself it's probably just a small vertebrae but you never know so I picked it up and I was really glad I did because this square was actually a horse tooth and my first one from the cliffs. Terrestrial mammals are hard to come by at the cliffs so it was defiantly an exciting find. We both found the normal small to medium sized teeth and on the way back to our kayaks I spotted a decent sized blade mostly covered by some sand. It was a partial alopias grandis. We couldn't find a megalodon to take home, I haven't even seen a partial found in awhile but I know they are out there. The horse tooth is really beautiful. Other than a meg and a few small teeth, this horse tooth is one of the only red teeth I have found from Maryland. Happy hunting everyone!

http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac342/Steven_Ferguson/image_zps723e732c.jpg

http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac342/Steven_Ferguson/image_zpsc867ecbc.jpg

http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac342/Steven_Ferguson/image_zps288ff061.jpg

http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac342/Steven_Ferguson/image_zps9aa5b3b4.jpg

gallery_17_41_9178.jpg

Not common at all!

Let's get a couple of them hosted here:

post-423-0-32348300-1382904098_thumb.jpgpost-423-0-40732700-1382904110_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Very cool. Also I didn't know bramble shark teeth got to that size; I always think of them as the sort of thing you sieve for and look for in the window screen size fraction.

don

Is there any way, if a species is extant in the area, to tell for sure if a tooth from that species is a true fossil? I have a large number of horse teeth from VA and MD that are all kinds of colors like red, black, blue, white etc. Even the white ones can be very heavy like a mineralized tooth. I know it doesn't take a lot of years for a modern tooth to take on a color.

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

It's always nice when you can find something new when collecting and Saturday I was able to do just that. I planned on meeting up with easternshore88 to embark on a kayaking adventure but before he arrived I went to a close by collecting spot to have a look around before he arrived. Another hunter arrived shortly after I did and come to find out it was cowsharks. It's always nice to run into forum members when your out and about. We stopped to chat for a bit and as we were doing so daryl found a beautiful bramble shark tooth, being as rare as they are I had to take some pictures of the tooth. A few minutes later I got a text from easternshore88 and went back to meet up with him, he brought along some beautiful teeth he had found and I showed him some teeth from the spot we were going to. After a short drive and relaxing paddle along the bay we arrived to the site to find it empty which is odd for a weekend and very nice collecting conditions, unfortunately there was a little to much sand in the better spots at this particular site and come to find out someone had already walked the beach before we arrived. We were not about to let that spoil our day. I like to pick up everything I find that stands out, give it a once over and if it's nothing or something commonly found I'll toss it back for the next guy, some people only pick up teeth shaped objects but there is so much more to be found than just teeth. In the water I noticed a black square, I thought to myself it's probably just a small vertebrae but you never know so I picked it up and I was really glad I did because this square was actually a horse tooth and my first one from the cliffs. Terrestrial mammals are hard to come by at the cliffs so it was defiantly an exciting find. We both found the normal small to medium sized teeth and on the way back to our kayaks I spotted a decent sized blade mostly covered by some sand. It was a partial alopias grandis. We couldn't find a megalodon to take home, I haven't even seen a partial found in awhile but I know they are out there. The horse tooth is really beautiful. Other than a meg and a few small teeth, this horse tooth is one of the only red teeth I have found from Maryland. Happy hunting everyone!

http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac342/Steven_Ferguson/image_zps723e732c.jpg

http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac342/Steven_Ferguson/image_zpsc867ecbc.jpg

http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac342/Steven_Ferguson/image_zps288ff061.jpg

http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac342/Steven_Ferguson/image_zps9aa5b3b4.jpg

Congrats again Steve on the nice Horse tooth - I've never found one before along Calvert Cliffs. I wonder if besides teeth, if any horse bones/skeletal material has ever been found there? That might help to answer Marco Sr's question about whether some of his horse teeth from the Bay are true fossils or not.

Daryl.

Is there any way, if a species is extant in the area, to tell for sure if a tooth from that species is a true fossil?...

Some Equus from the cliffs are Colonial era, some even more recent, and some from the Ice Age; certainty would be hard to come by.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Congrats again Steve on the nice Horse tooth - I've never found one before along Calvert Cliffs. I wonder if besides teeth, if any horse bones/skeletal material has ever been found there? That might help to answer Marco Sr's question about whether some of his horse teeth from the Bay are true fossils or not.

Daryl.

I have one bone positively identified as a horse splint bone and others that could be found within 100 feet of where the tooth was found.
gallery_17_41_9178.jpg

I have one bone positively identified as a horse splint bone and others that could be found within 100 feet of where the tooth was found.

Is the bone recent, Colonial era or a fossil?

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

The bone is a fossil, I'll post pictures when I get home but just because it was found roughly in the same spot doesn't mean they are associated or even from the same era.

gallery_17_41_9178.jpg

Nice finds! The horse especially (though even a partial grandis is cool)

I've wondered the same thing that MarcoSr asked. I think I may have 4 or so horse teeth, but they have only come from two sites that seem to give up more mammal material than elsewhere on the bay. Always wondered the exact age of them.

I did find some bone once from what I concluded was horse, but it was clearly a more recent line than Miocene. One of my horse teeth is from that same site and though it looks much more fossilized than the bone did, I figure chances are that one is more recent than the others.

Anyway, I found this interesting. thank you

Nice horse tooth Steve,love the color.It's amazing what people who only pick up sharktooth shapes miss.I pick up anything that looks promising,throw it in my backpack and give it a good look when I get home.Once I started doing that I was amazed at how many more things were worth keeping.Congrats on the find.

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Nice finds! The horse especially (though even a partial grandis is cool)

I've wondered the same thing that MarcoSr asked. I think I may have 4 or so horse teeth, but they have only come from two sites that seem to give up more mammal material than elsewhere on the bay. Always wondered the exact age of them.

I did find some bone once from what I concluded was horse, but it was clearly a more recent line than Miocene. One of my horse teeth is from that same site and though it looks much more fossilized than the bone did, I figure chances are that one is more recent than the others.

Anyway, I found this interesting. thank you

Hey Greg, would be interested in seeing what bones you found.

gallery_17_41_9178.jpg

Hey Greg, would be interested in seeing what bones you found.

Sure thing. I ended up letting the friend I was collecting with that day keep them, but I'll see if I can have him to take a couple photos.

I have a horse toe bone collected in situ form Zone 11 of the Calvert Formation. I have been told by the Smithsonian that horse (and other) float fossils are almost impossible to date. It is very likely that any horse teeth found are Pleistocene to Recent, but Miocene can't be ruled out.

The bone is a fossil, I'll post pictures when I get home but just because it was found roughly in the same spot doesn't mean they are associated or even from the same era.

Just as an aside, how would you define 'fossil'?

Certainly in some instances the actual bone survives, or the aragonite of a shell, or the wood of a plant even though the specimen has been dead for many millions of years.

Just as an aside, how would you define 'fossil'?

Certainly in some instances the actual bone survives, or the aragonite of a shell, or the wood of a plant even though the specimen has been dead for many millions of years.

The technical line is drawn at an age of 10,000 years before present, in an attempt to quantify what is "prehistoric".

I found this interesting and I'm not sure if it can definitively label this tooth as being fossilized or not but on parts of the root it's worn to the point it is shiny like enamel, like a worn fossilized bone or root of a tooth would be. I'm not sure if non-fossilized bones and teeth can get like this. Would be interested in hearing what you guys think. http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac342/Steven_Ferguson/image_zps9715b8aa.jpg

gallery_17_41_9178.jpg

Archived