How Do You Measure Your Teeth?

Guest bmorefossil

Guest bmorefossil

last night i was talking to another forum member and we began to talk about measuring sharks teeth, slant height, keeping the tooth level, ect.. So im going to take one of my makos and see what difference it makes in the length of the tooth, if you have some ideas of your own please post pictures or just comment.

bmore - i normally just floss my teeth rather than measuring them, but if i needed to measure them, i'd do so in such a manner as to get the largest result, so i'd probably wrap the floss around them about six or eight times and then unwind and measure it. hope this helps. thanks. tracer

Guest bmorefossil
bmore - i normally just floss my teeth rather than measuring them, but if i needed to measure them, i'd do so in such a manner as to get the largest result, so i'd probably wrap the floss around them about six or eight times and then unwind and measure it. hope this helps. thanks. tracer

hmm thats not a bad idea, but 6-8 is nothing! i was thinking more like 10-12. well here are two examples, one with the tooth straight and the other at a slant, its a difference of an 1/8 of an inch.

2 1/2

2 5/8

post-17-1230046727_thumb.jpg

post-17-1230046783_thumb.jpg

What I see most commonly is the longest dimension on the slant. Serious measurers use calipers.

Full stats give slant length from both sides, width of the root, and weight.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

hmm thats not a bad idea, but 6-8 is nothing! i was thinking more like 10-12. well here are two examples, one with the tooth straight and the other at a slant, its a difference of an 1/8 of an inch.

2 1/2

2 5/8

you're doing it wrong. that's a 3" tooth. if the longest slant length is over 1/2", then you round up to the nearest full inch. then when pricing the tooth, you round up to the nearest grand.

I use slant height when measuring sharks teeth. I guess with other types of teeth I'd use whatever seems most logical...

But here's what Elasmo.com says:

I have no idea if there is a proper method of measuring these teeth. For discussion purposes, I employ the illustrated method in which the base of the crown is placed approximately level and the broadest/widest part (of the crown and/or root) is measured. Note that each measurement is "overall". In many instances, the dimensions of the the crown's basal margin are most relevant, particularly for comparrisons. A "bc" prefix" will indicate as basal crown measurement (i.e., bcDep).

Click on References, Terminology, Measurements

Kevin Wilson

Guest bmorefossil
What I see most commonly is the longest dimension on the slant. Serious measurers use calipers.

Full stats give slant length from both sides, width of the root, and weight.

and how tall the tooth is when its laying flat, i think this one is about 1/2inch

Guest bmorefossil
Just to add to the confusion......how many people measure a Cow Shark tooth on the slant? :unsure:

well it depends, are we talking about uppers or lowers?

Measuring the largest slant length is generally considered the correct way. On species such as cow sharks, bramble sharks and dogfish, species with a more rectangle profile as opposed to triangle, width is usually given. This also applies to extreme posterior teeth that are usually wider than what the slant length is. Calipers are fine if you have them, but not really needed unless the tooth is at a size where a small measurement difference means a lot. By this I mean things like 3" makos and GW's, 3" Bone Valley megs, 2" Hemis, and large (5+") megs just to name a few. If I buy a tooth that is near a size like these I want it measured accurately. A GW measuring 2.99" is less desirable than one at 3.01", although I'd be happy with either.

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Geometrically speaking, slant height is a pretty good generalization of "tooth size". Of course the more measurements, the more exact we get, but I don't find those extra measurements to be very helpful in a quick visualization. If someone says they have a 2.25" lower anterior mako I have a good feel for how big the tooth is.

---Wie Wasser schleift den Stein, wir steigen und fallen---

Guest bmorefossil
Geometrically speaking, slant height is a pretty good generalization of "tooth size". Of course the more measurements, the more exact we get, but I don't find those extra measurements to be very helpful in a quick visualization. If someone says they have a 2.25" lower anterior mako I have a good feel for how big the tooth is.

well not if they say 2" and make the shape of a 5" tooth i have had people do that to me........ sad

Well a lot of people really don't know how big 4 inches is if you just asked them to draw a 4" line or something. But what is really neat is that if you get sample of 100s maybe 1000s of people and ask them the same question and then average all of their responses, it will be INCREDIBLY accurate despite the fact that some people may draw 8 inch lines and some 2 inch lines.

well not if they say 2" and make the shape of a 5" tooth i have had people do that to me........ sad

Guest bmorefossil
Well a lot of people really don't know how big 4 inches is if you just asked them to draw a 4" line or something. But what is really neat is that if you get sample of 100s maybe 1000s of people and ask them the same question and then average all of their responses, it will be INCREDIBLY accurate despite the fact that some people may draw 8 inch lines and some 2 inch lines.

no most are pretty cool but there are they days when you get the "I caught a fish THIS big" guy

to me they ought to be measured from the bore relay to the tip of the tooth, because that's what bites ya. i mean, who cares how much root is in the jaw? little red riding hoop didn't say to grandma, "my, what big teeth with long roots you have!"

oh yeah. if they arent a tooth collector and instead maybe just a random beach-walker they are probably more prone to exaggeration or just not giving you an accurate size description. We avid tooth collectors measure sharks teeth all the time so we have a good handle on eye measurements of teeth we find.

no most are pretty cool but there are they days when you get the "I caught a fish THIS big" guy