How Do You Measure Your Teeth?

Guest bmorefossil

Guest bmorefossil
oh yeah. if they arent a tooth collector and instead maybe just a random beach-walker they are probably more prone to exaggeration or just not giving you an accurate size description. We avid tooth collectors measure sharks teeth all the time so we have a good handle on eye measurements of teeth we find.

im dead on now, i know when a tooth is 1 7/8 and one is 2"

Measuring teeth depends a bit on the purpose of measuring. If a tooth is measured for commercial purposes (anything you see at Tucson, or anything you see on websites that sell shark teeth) then slant length is pretty much always used as a way to measure teeth. On many teeth this is the largest measurement taken from the tip of the tooth to the tip of the mesial root lobe.

If the purpose is scientific it all depends on what one needs to discover. You could measure crown height, crown width (crown Height/Width ratio), tooth height, tooth width (height/width ratio), slant angle etc. This also depends on the type of tooth you are measuring (ptychodus vs. hexanchus vs. Isurus).

I think it also dependes on what type of teeth you are talking about

Up here you can talk about some shark teeth but why, DINO teeth are more comon

it's more about the condintion or the pereservation of the find.

If you don't like my spelling then MERRY CHRISTMAS to you to :P:P

Guest bmorefossil
I think it also dependes on what type of teeth you are talking about

everyone seems to be bringing this up but this is one of the reasons i started the topic, i wanted to see how you measured your teeth, dino, shark, mammal, ect, not only for members that are new to fossiling to use as a guide but also a way to compare the different styles of measurement

If you don't like my spelling then MERRY CHRISTMAS to you to :P:P

Don't worry about that because IMHO I think that's what makes this website more interesting. Spellling is insignificant to me, it's the friendly sharing of knowledge that's important.

And Merry Christmas to you as well! :D

Kevin Wilson

Guest bmorefossil
Don't worry about that because IMHO I think that's what makes this website more interesting. Spellling is insignificant to me, it's the friendly sharing of knowledge that's important.

And Merry Christmas to you as well! :D

yea who cares about spelling, as long as i can understand what your talking about its ok to me, you seem to be doing a fine job

Man, all you guys are into sharks teeth. It's hard for me to talk shop when I have no accessibility to sharks teeth.

The only place in Colorado that I am familiar with that has sharks teeth, is right on the boarder of Colorado and

Kansas. Other side of the state.

Is anyone familiar with any exposures that would bear sharks teeth near central Colorado?

v = 0.25 * g0.5 * SL1.67 * h-1.17

Guest bmorefossil
Man, all you guys are into sharks teeth. It's hard for me to talk shop when I have no accessibility to sharks teeth.

The only place in Colorado that I am familiar with that has sharks teeth, is right on the boarder of Colorado and

Kansas. Other side of the state.

Is anyone familiar with any exposures that would bear sharks teeth near central Colorado?

im sure that you have found some kind of tooth that is not shark

Sometimes, slant vs. vertical makes little difference :)

post-423-1230141602_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

with dino teeth I measure in a straight line, longest measurment. When people are selling dino teeth alot of them measure along the outside curve of the tooth to make it sound bigger.

Guest bmorefossil
with dino teeth I measure in a straight line, longest measurment. When people are selling dino teeth alot of them measure along the outside curve of the tooth to make it sound bigger.

yes this is one of the questions i was going to ask, I find croc teeth here in maryland, and i usually just measure in a straight line, but i have seen people measue the outside curve of the whole tooth and make it .5" longer!!!

Guest bmorefossil
Sometimes, slant vs. vertical makes little difference :)

yes when dealing with smaller straight teeth it would make little difference

"I have no idea if there is a proper method of measuring these teeth. For discussion purposes, I employ the illustrated method in which the base of the crown is placed approximately level and the broadest/widest part (of the crown and/or root) is measured. Note that each measurement is "overall". In many instances, the dimensions of the the crown's basal margin are most relevant, particularly for comparrisons. A "bc" prefix" will indicate as basal crown measurement (i.e., bcDep)."

The diagram accompanying the above text on Elasmo, shows the vertical measurement taken, for height, NOT the slant length.

KOF, Bill.

Welcome to the forum, all new members

www.ukfossils check it out.

"I have no idea if there is a proper method of measuring these teeth. For discussion purposes, I employ the illustrated method in which the base of the crown is placed approximately level and the broadest/widest part (of the crown and/or root) is measured. Note that each measurement is "overall". In many instances, the dimensions of the the crown's basal margin are most relevant, particularly for comparrisons. A "bc" prefix" will indicate as basal crown measurement (i.e., bcDep)."

The diagram accompanying the above text on Elasmo, shows the vertical measurement taken, for height, NOT the slant length.

That sort of measurement makes the most sense for comparative study; slant height is used for selling, but has little value elsewise.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Guest bmorefossil
That sort of measurement makes the most sense for comparative study; slant height is used for selling, but has little value elsewise.

well it could also be used for bragging rights, would be nice to say you have a 3" mako over a 2 13/16" mako, or something on the lines of that.

ok, ive been watching this thread for some time now and realize you teeth guys need a little help. Tip #1. Give up the teeth hunting and all your teeth problems will be gone... Tip #2. Start collecting fossil crabs.

Things to know about Tip #2: You may not have any more teeth problems, but you will begin to cuss and swear more. You will spend $1000's of dollars on prep equipment and still need more. Your cussing and swearing becomes an 'art form'! Some people you know will start talking behind your back about the need for serious mental medical help! You literally invent new cuss words! Your need for more crabs begins to drive people away! You tell people that you dream of crabs, and they dont understand and take a couple of steps away from you!!! You see a giant alaskan king crab in the market place and start cussing and swearing because you done have one thats fossilized!!! Your spouse has made an appointment for you to see a very nice 'special doctor'!!! To H E double toothpicks with crabs! Im thinking about starting my own shark tooth collection now!! Ha!!!!

RB

<EDIT: Dbl.-posted pic deleted> B)

post-171-1230763065_thumb.jpg

post-171-1230763148_thumb.jpg

post-171-1230763369_thumb.jpg

post-171-1230763422_thumb.jpg

ok, ive been watching this thread for some time now and realize you teeth guys need a little help. Tip #1. Give up the teeth hunting and all your teeth problems will be gone... Tip #2. Start collecting fossil crabs.

Things to know about Tip #2: You may not have any more teeth problems, but you will begin to cuss and swear more. You will spend $1000's of dollars on prep equipment and still need more. Your cussing and swearing becomes an 'art form'! Some people you know will start talking behind your back about the need for serious mental medical help! You literally invent new cuss words! Your need for more crabs begins to drive people away! You tell people that you dream of crabs, and they dont understand and take a couple of steps away from you!!! You see a giant alaskan king crab in the market place and start cussing and swearing because you done have one thats fossilized!!! Your spouse has made an appointment for you to see a very nice 'special doctor'!!! To H E double toothpicks with crabs! Im thinking about starting my own shark tooth collection now!! Ha!!!!

RB

World-class teeth, man!

How do you measure crabs? (Not that I'm trying to push you over the edge or anything...)

Guest bmorefossil
World-class teeth, man!

How do you measure crabs? (Not that I'm trying to push you over the edge or anything...)

well i know some people dont even measure the crab or fish, whatever it happens to be, they just list the size of the slab which i dont really like, i want to know the size of the crab.

Thanks for the world class comment, but I bought all those dam teeth. Im not one of these guys who goes out and finds them. I wish I did, or could. I dont follow alot of the teeth post, but that because i dont now much about them. If I lived over there, I would give those guys a run for their money, so to speak. But alas, I live waaaaaaay over here, land of the ammos. and somewhat close to 'land of the crabs'! And now I have to measure my crabs? Im starting to see bright dots in front of my eyes. starting to feel wooooooozy. the feelings of cussing coming on... where is my medicine???!! Haahahahahahahaaahahahah!!!!

RB

World-class teeth, man!

Yeah, i know, but I didnt know how to 'deleat' one?

RB

Who ya' gonna' call?

Post Busters!

If the shark tooth shape is a generalized triangle, slant height is c in a^2 + b^2 = c^2. So slant height really is a hybrid of height and width, taking both into account and giving a fair representation of overall "tooth size". So I consider it a pretty good quick comparitive measurement technique.

---Wie Wasser schleift den Stein, wir steigen und fallen---

Guest bmorefossil
If the shark tooth shape is a generalized triangle, slant height is c in a^2 + b^2 = c^2. So slant height really is a hybrid of height and width, taking both into account and giving a fair representation of overall "tooth size". So I consider it a pretty good quick comparitive measurement technique.

that would be awsome to have a tooth 2" wide and long on both sides