A Trip To Christchurch South Island New Zealand

Dave pom Allen

last week a friend and i went on a trip south, i had a trip to take a few fossils i have to the Canterbury museum where i had to meet with Paul Schofield who has offered to help me with identification of some of the sea bird fossils that i have, also with a couple of seal bones that i have, this was an awesome trip to the museum and i hope that it all goes well.

on the way we had a few stop overs and here is what we found.

we stayed in south bay Kaikoura for a few nights i love this place, i dont know any other places that you can sat on the deck over looking the bay watching whales jump out the water a couple of hundred yards offshore.

we had managed to borrow a quad bike off the people we rented the bach off, this made the trip to the hunting spots way easier as i was suffering from an injury, heres a couple of shots of the place and a few of the bits i found.

post-1182-0-68265300-1382920156_thumb.jpgpost-1182-0-28841400-1382920224_thumb.jpgpost-1182-0-54729100-1382920253_thumb.jpg

a nice phragmacone, pleosaur tooth,shark tooth slab and a slab of belemnites

post-1182-0-98893000-1382920296_thumb.jpg

post-1182-0-92147200-1382920485_thumb.jpg

post-1182-0-00223500-1382920572_thumb.jpg

Very cool Dave. I hope your injuries heal quickly! Thanks for showing us what we're missing up here in the Northern Hemisphere.

:o

Great teeth. Did you hunt at the Mikonui Stream area or the Haumuri Bluffs area? That plesiosaur tooth is beautiful.

Those slabs look really nice. Sounds like a fun time. Hope you get healed up soon.

Luck is the most important skill of a fossil diver.

Really nice pictures and specimens. Are you able to break down the shark tooth slabs and search the residue for micro shark, ray and fish teeth?

Marco Sr.

the slab has meny micros in it i have counted 15 shark teeth and a vert and many belemnites that i can see with the naked eye

:o

Great teeth. Did you hunt at the Mikonui Stream area or the Haumuri Bluffs area? That plesiosaur tooth is beautiful.

yeah these all came from mikonui also found many pleaosaur bone all unidentifiable and a nice sponge and wood .also found many other bones and bits from haumuri bluff but nothing great

we also stayed at motunau beach in north canterbury well known for its fossil crabs. heres some shots from that stop.

post-1182-0-05807200-1382926650_thumb.jpgpost-1182-0-68386000-1382926667_thumb.jpg

we found these crabs and a crayfish also many marine mammal bones not a bad days effort

post-1182-0-40476900-1382926793_thumb.jpgpost-1182-0-37932800-1382926820_thumb.jpgpost-1182-0-95689100-1382926937_thumb.jpgpost-1182-0-87288200-1382926955_thumb.jpgpost-1182-0-26633200-1382927017_thumb.jpg

cant wait till next year

we also stayed at motunau beach in north canterbury well known for its fossil crabs. heres some shots from that stop.

attachicon.gifIMG_1028.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_1027.JPG

we found these crabs and a crayfish also many marine mammal bones not a bad days effort

attachicon.gifIMG_1030.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_1031.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_1035.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_1034.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_1033.JPG

cant wait till next year

Ok now you have my attention, wonderful collection and location shots , Thanks

Cephalopods rule!!

Always outstanding, Dave. Thanks for a taste of your trip.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

I think i need to jump on a plane! Any Kiwi's up for an international?

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

Amazing crabs. I've seen photos of many fine crabs in concretions, but not a pair of crabs.

And beautiful scenery. The South Island reminds me of a mix of California, Alaska, Hawaii, and Ireland, with Mesozoic vegetation in the wilder parts.

Context is critical.

Really great finds and scenery Dave! I assume that you deliberately had the photo of you on the quad taken next to the warning sign in order to show that you kiwis are law abiding citizens with a good sense of humor ;) Kaikoura looks to be jurassic and Motunau oligocene. Is that correct?

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Really great finds and scenery Dave! I assume that you deliberately had the photo of you on the quad taken next to the warning sign in order to show that you kiwis are law abiding citizens with a good sense of humor ;) Kaikoura looks to be jurassic and Motunau oligocene. Is that correct?

kaikoura is late cretacous and motunau is late miocene. i had to wait for the train to pass before driving the train tracks i am always law abiding :)