Interesting Find

Foshunter

Was looking through some of my fossils stored in the garage and ran across some 3 inch plus Mosasaur rib fragments. One had a very noticable scavanged shark bite. The shark was no doubt Squalicorax kaupi as it had the only serrated teeth during the Upper Cretaceous, Campanian Period from in the N. Sulphur River exposure. Thought it interesting and wanted to share----Tom

post-3940-0-46547200-1383247500_thumb.jpg

post-3940-0-61324000-1383247510_thumb.jpg

post-3940-0-87744500-1383247519_thumb.jpg

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

As advertised: very interesting, and a great 'bite-mark' example!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I've seen that on several of my pieces from Kansas- it's cool to get such a story with a piece!

It's fascinating that so much information can be gleaned from so little evidence. Great piece.

SWard
Southeast Missouri

(formerly Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX)

USA

i love fossils that show how the animal met its demise and/or "post processing". i should have a couple neat ones to show soon too.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Very nice find, Tom. It's always interesting to see evidence of interaction between ancient contemporaries.

A few years ago, Gorden Bell - a paleontologist with the NPS - was doing some research on that type of find. He had helped me identify a partial Plioplatecarpus I'd found and asked me to inspect the bones for the same tell-tale evidence seen on your specimen. I didn't find any marks as definitive as yours, but I sent him a large sample of the matrix that had been in contact with the bones for him to process in a search for the teeth.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Neat, we always inspect our Miocene bone finds for feeding damage and have a few, but we haven't found it in any cretaceous stuff yet.

The interaction of species has always been an interest, the happenings at death or after death can be very interesting, not always the smoking gun as in this case. My favorite is the Cretaceous turtle plastron showing the front teeth marks of a large Mosasaur----Tom

post-3940-0-61264100-1383335852_thumb.jpg

Edited by Foshunter

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

Awesome examples.I've only got a few pieces where bite marks are evident but I check every piece of bone I find.If they could only talk.Well.......they do a little I guess lol

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!