Is This A Coproplite?

Perico

It does seem to have a bit of the spiral shape that shark Coprolites have, but the texture doesn't match the ones I find up here in the Northeast.

Can't really tell size from the cropped picture but it looks like alligator coprolite. I have 2 pieces......one pretty well mineralized and 1 is a subfossil that required stabilization. They are apparently fairly common, but I have to admit that a couple I picked up were NOT fossils. Fortunately I hunt alone so nobody saw my reaction.

• 3 weeks later...

Can't really tell size from the cropped picture but it looks like alligator coprolite. I have 2 pieces......one pretty well mineralized and 1 is a subfossil that required stabilization. They are apparently fairly common, but I have to admit that a couple I picked up were NOT fossils. Fortunately I hunt alone so nobody saw my reaction.

oh that must have been horrible, "yay i found a fossils (SQUELCH) ughh... not fossil." at least you didn't do what i did. i was fossil shopping on the internet at lunchtime at school, i bought some coprolites and then proceeded to yell at the top of my voice, "guys i just bought some dino poo for three and a half dollars!" they started telling me that the seller would just send some dog poo in a bag with a little plastic dinosaur. of course, i didn't believe them.

Edited by NZ_Fossil_Collecta

I'm CRAZY about amber fossils and just as CRAZY in general.

Your specimen has a similar shape and size to croc coprolites that I have from the Paleocene of Maryland. However, my specimens are all very textured, not smooth. I have hundreds of shark coprolites and your specimen is many times bigger then anything that I have.

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png