A Few Peace River Bones

TourmalineGuy

So, I was going through some of my old bones this weekend and decided I should revisit the forum, since I have been lurking for too long. I was checking how I had labelled some of my fossils and looking at some that I had not IDed yet and I found these four interesting bones. I think I know, in general, what each is, just not specifically what or what from. All were found in the Peace River making them between Miocene and Pleistocene in age.

1. I think this is an osteoderm. The odd curved groove that leads into one "edge" of the piece got me curious and it looks nothing like my armadillo or glyptodon pieces. Any ideas are welcome. It appears broken along two edges and I drew in the direction I suspect the breakage would lead. Also, the top has two concentric ridges that follow the same path as the large groove.

Approximately 1.5 inch x 1.25 inch

post-2423-0-38920800-1383516171_thumb.jpg

2.This one I'm almost certain is an osteoderm and I believe it is a xenarthran. I was wondering if anyone had experience with this particular style and could give further information (placement, species, etc). For those with the reference, it looks very much like the line drawings of osteoderms said to be from the limbs of Holmesina septentrionalis from A. Gordon Edmund's, "The Armor of Fossil Giant Armadillos." But without a comparative piece and only one line drawing I wanted a second opinion.

Approximately 1 inch x 3/4 inch

post-2423-0-17242700-1383518990_thumb.jpg

3. This is a carpal or tarsal. It reminds me a lot of the horse magnum or ectocuneiform, however it seems much thicker, proportionally, than those bones. I know these ones can be hard, but it is rather distinctive.

Approximately 1 inch x 1.25 inch

post-2423-0-62239000-1383519179_thumb.jpg

4. Here is an ear bone. I recall researching this piece and thinking it was very similar to some pig or peccary ear bones, however I have lost those references and cannot seem to find them again.

Approximately 1 inch by 1/2 inch

post-2423-0-60381400-1383519307_thumb.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Roddy