Attn: Texas Fossil Hunters! Does Anyone Remember?

happy2Bhere

I'm hoping someone remembers who posted a fossil hunting trip. I was telling a friend here in Galveston about it, and they just couldn't hardly believe it....so I set out, searching on here for that entry; but can not find it. This is what I remember!

One of the members was down here on the Texas coast (and I believe they were in Galveston), and found this incredible amount of fossils washed up in the surf. They had taken many, many photos, of all these fossils (what I remember is bones, mostly), and they were photographed in a heavy shell-bed. I remember how amazing I thought that find was, as I've been coming to Galveston since the mid-80s and had never seen anything like that.

Does anyone remember who that was, so that I can search a name? It might have been 2 or 3 years ago. I've done all the common searches (galveston, texas coast) with no luck. I'm determined to find that post, and show my friend that I'm not making this stuff up!

I have relocated to Galveston, and am waiting for some storms to bring up some cool stuff out of the sea! Love this forum! Thank you, everyone!

Remember to search under fossil hunting trips to narrow it down further.

one day i will find a tooth over 3 inches in good conditon haha.

Try searching a member whose name is "tracer" And a post called "the coast is clear". and see if this is the one you're looking for

Search tracer and you're bound for a

Fantastical journey of phun

With No Ledge unturned

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

Thank you everyone! I did search tracer, and see his Texas coast trip, coast is clear. That was great to see, and enjoyed. Was not the trip I remembered. Tonight, I went back to the beginning of fossil hunting trips, which is 2008. I found the post about 12, 14 pages in. Posted by silverphoenix; titled Omg I hit Jackpot! Galveston Hunt! Vertebrae Gallore. Was dated 1-1-9. I'm so glad to find this...thought I was losing it. I find there is very little of anything on the Galveston beaches, at least lately, much less ALL! that these photos show. If you scroll down, he shows the pics of the shell beds. Amazing! Wonder if all of this that washed up wasn't connected to Hurrican Ike, which I believe, was September 2008.

I'm not here often; life is crazy. If I comment on his post, does it come back to the top? I will try that. Worth looking at again.

Thank you!!!!everyone, for the suggestions! take care,

Happy2Bhere I went to the post by Silverphoenix and WOW! I see why you were determined to find it again. That was an amazing find on the beach, let us know when you find the mother lode also.

:) thanks, "dead but not forgotten". I will definitely let you know. I'm wondering if silverphoenix is still active on here. Would love to hear "the rest of the story", about that beach site. Did he find more fossils later?

I have a guess as to where he was hunting. The coast of Galveston Island is pretty cut and dried, really. I drove over there today (realizing, I'm guessing) to just see what might be in the area. No fossils, but I love beach combing, and so will post what I found today, in the way of sea beans, pumice, glass beads (?).

Haven't been on this forum in ages. Really!!! have forgotten how much I enjoy it! Have a great day, all!post-10544-0-06716100-1383774030_thumb.jpg

Edited by happy2Bhere

I know exactly which one you were talking about. It is called omg I hit the vert jackpot or something. coincidence- I just finished reading it!

-kevin

Yes! Pretty amazing finds! I doubt it kept producing, just stirred up from the hurricane that fall. At least that's my theory. I believe I know where he was hunting, and it's back to normal; shells, seaweed, some beans and trash! :-)

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

I was happy to be there last Saturday! Galveston that is, Nonno Tony’s on the strand for some meatballs, no fossils unfortunately. I’ve have had some luck across the ferry on the peninsula, not a lot of sharks teeth but there is a lot of modern bovine material mixed with the occasional older materials. I have found some really nice bottles, sea shells, fossils and artifacts that wash up from what is assumed to be a site approximately a mile off shore that wash up every now and then. Happy hunting!

P. S. 4w drive helps.