Lake Texoma

tjcintx

In a couple of months will be at Tanglewood Resort and Conference Center on Lake Texoma in Pottsboro, TX. Never been there but know from reading an older book that Lake Texoma is a great place to hunt fossils and possibly find some treasures my daughter and I have not seen yet. Anyone have any suggestions on where and how to look in that immediate area? You can emial me or post here. Ahead of time, thank you so much. Have not been hunting in a while and only have in Texas Hill Country and Sulfer River so excited to get to go some place new and another chance to search for treasure!

Before you reach the dam area there is a paved road to the left that will take you down to a boat ramp, hunt the area to the left of the ramp----Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

You might want to edit your post to make your email "tjcintx at aol dot com", unless you like spam. Lots of bots scan public web sites like this to pick up email addresses to inundate with spam.

I can't help with the Lake Texoma question, never been there. But I'm sure you'll get a lot of suggestions from the locals, I see Tom has already offered some.

Don

You might want to edit your post to make your email "tjcintx at aol dot com", unless you like spam. Lots of bots scan public web sites like this to pick up email addresses to inundate with spam.

I can't help with the Lake Texoma question, never been there. But I'm sure you'll get a lot of suggestions from the locals, I see Tom has already offered some.

Don

Don offers good advice regarding bots and spam. I edited your post to link to your Personal Profile where members can send you a Private Message (PM). ;)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Any chance you'll have access to a boat or kayak? Texoma is pretty well known, and I do better there by getting away from the easy access areas.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

• 3 months later...

Thank you John, Don and Tom. I've been told through some contacts that the Lake is with Core of Engineers so you can hunt but cant remove. So if we get out may just be photos. Was hoping to find a place to hunt and carry but looks like just photos if we get to get out today!

Folks have been hunting fossils there for many years. I've never been myself but from what I understand you need to stay out of the state park (other than parking) and as mentioned head to the left(west) from the ramp. Folks have homes along the lake so stay off their lawns and on the shore. And Dan's advice on bringing a boat is spot on.

thousands of collectors have hauled tons of fossils off the shorelines for decades. take what you want when not within any of the various park boundaries. i've rented boats on the lake a few times, and taken my motorized jon boat or canoe every other time. in those little boats in big water, at times it feels like i'm rounding cape horn, pucker factor at max when crossing whitecaps with a load of ammonites. with the distance i have to travel round trip, i have to maximize chances of success to justify the expense.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Dan is right, it's collected a lot but still technically considered illegal by the corps. Permits are available sometimes but I've only managed to get a permit for one small area and it was covered by dirt and grass:( They don't have the personnel available for enforcement but I've heard of a state game warden stopping people at Texoma, possibly through confusion over strict artifact regulations in Texas. Does anyone know whether the new federal fossil collecting regulations for BLM and Forest Lands will cover CoE controlled areas? Also, have the news laws been decided or implemented yet?

Edited by BobWill

Yes my Daughter and I found some large Ammonite pieces but they were to right of road by Harbor marina. We are at meetings with American Fisheries Society and asked a Core person attending and was told that core property extends quite a ways from the road so we will not be taking anything home. We will later see if we can find a washed out creek south of the resort he told us we may have a little luck at small stuff that we could keep.