megabass22

I have been drawing dinosaurs for a long time, and i´m getting better with each drawing, i thought that i would show off some examples of the work i have done, so here it comes:

Unexpected Visitor

Two Laevisuchus are scared away by a larger Rajasaurus in cretaceous India.

unexpected_visitor_by_megabass22-d6sql8gDiving Giant
A Spinosaurus swims after its favourite prey, Onchopristis (Still need to get a fossil of that one ;) ) in cretaceous North Africa.
diving_giant_by_megabass22-d6sqmip.jpgEvicted!
A Velociraptor is scared away from its home by a Therizinosaurus in cretaceous Mongolia.
evicted__by_megabass22-d6sqlp2.jpgClash of the Titans
A Tyrannosaurus faces off with Triceratops in cretaceous North America (The T.Rex´s leg got a little weird here).
clash_of_the_titans_by_megabass22-d6sqm6
Commisions
I´ve also done several commisions, most for Keith Olsen´s Dinoworld franchise (here: http://dinoworld.freeforums.net/index.cgi) which aren´t meant to be accurate at all, so here they are, Compsognathus and Kaprosuchus:
dinoworld__compsognathus_by_megabass22-d
dinoworld__kaprosuchus_by_megabass22-d6s
Please tell me what you think of them, and if there is any particular prehistoric animal that you would like me to draw.
/Sebastian

better than I could do at this point :)

though I will point out the thighs on your dinosaurs are too narrow; the Tyrannosaurus and Triceratops both look a bit anorexic.

They look pretty fantastic, much better than I could do as well.

I will agree just on bringing the thighs out a bit more for each for each of them.

Keep up the good work though!

Having none myself, I admire the artistic flair of others. Kudos!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

• 3 months later...

I´ve drawn some new things:

Lion of the Jurassic

i decided to draw an Allosaurus, seen here attacking a young Stegosaurus. Are the legs right?

lion_of_the_jurassic_by_megabass22-d76k9

Blood Brothers

Here is Coelophysis rhodesiensis, one of my favorite dinosaurs. One of them has managed to catch a small lizard during the dry season.

coelophysis_by_megabass22-d76ka8t.jpg

Exobiology

While this might not relate to this forum in any way i thought i´d post it anyway, these are sketches for a conceptual Earth-like planet 12 light-years away. The soilsucker uses its tongue to feed of nutrients in the, well... soil. The bonejaw in turn, uses its bonejaw to eat the soilsuckers.

soilsuckers_by_megabass22-d76k9iw.jpgexobiology_concept_1__bonejaw_by_megabas

• 2 weeks later...

I want to see someone draw some sharks! Xenacanthus and Helicoprion are some of my favorites. Nice drawings!

Stephen

• 1 month later...

So, i´ve been getting fossils (going to do a thread once i get everything ready) and drawing prehistories again, here´s the next bunch:

DINOSAURS

Tarbosaurus

So, i messed up the last tyrannosaur picture i did (Clash of the titans), and decided to draw some new tyrannosaurids, first up is Tarbosaurus bataar:

tarbosaurus_by_megabass22-d7cjuso.jpg

Tyrannosaurus

It was obvious that this one had to be done, wasn´t it?

tyrannosaurus_rex_by_megabass22-d7cjywy.Not to sure about its tail though.

Pachyrhinosaurus

One of the more interesting ceratopsids in my opinion:

pachyrhinosaurus_by_megabass22-d7cjwng.jPTEROSAURS

Sos 2428 no. 42 (also known as the flightless pterosaur) has like many fossil specimens only been discovered recently from old collections, and even though it was discovered back in 2011 (or rediscovered) suprisingly little has been done about it. I also have to admit that i do not have a lot of experience with drawing pterosaurs, and i´m not sure by the overall accuracy of this restoration (especially the tail).

More about Sos 2428 no. 42: pterosaurheresies.wordpress.co…

sos_2428_no__42_by_megabass22-d7cjxtl.jp

I also did some commisions which i posted on my deviantART page.

For the next upload i will finish my "large prehistoric sharks chart" requested by PA Fossil Finder (i didn´t manage to fit Xenacanthus in there, as it would look too small with the scale i was doing, helicoprion is in there though)

Also, expect to see Concavenator, Amargasaurus and Tsintaosaurus (with the new crest theory).

• 3 months later...

I haven´t updated this thread in a while, so i´ll do that now :)

I updated my style recently, hopefully making the artwork better looking and more paleontologically accurate.

Tuojiangosaurus:

tuojiangosaurus_by_megabass22-d7o6c5c.jp

Coelophysis:

coelophysis_by_megabass22-d7o6cid.jpg

Acrocanthosaurus:

acrocanthosaurus_by_megabass22-d7o6cvl.j

Tyrannosaurus:

tyrannosaurus_by_megabass22-d7o6dxc.jpg

Deinocheirus (based on the new undescribed material):

deinocheirus_by_megabass22-d7o6dmu.jpg

Cryolophosaurus:

cryolophosaurus_by_megabass22-d7o6e4p.jp

Styracosaurus:

styracosaurus_by_megabass22-d7o6d9v.jpg

Definitely heading in the right direction. I like the arm feathers on the Tyrannosaur and the spine integument on the Styracosaur.

A lot of very large feet here though to be honest; proportionately, the feet on a lot of these dinosaurs are almost as long as the rest of the leg. For the Styracosaurus to open its mouth like that would require it to dislocate its jaw substantially, and I don't believe that was possible. The heads on Tyrannosaurus and Cryolophosaurus are small, and Cryolophosaurus didn't have a premaxillary notch in its jaw like Dilophosaurus.

For a point of reference with the thigh width, imagine the muscle attachment points at the anterior and posterior ends of the ilium; that will give you a good idea for width (and that the thighs generally taper ventrally).

Just my five cents.

Definitely heading in the right direction. I like the arm feathers on the Tyrannosaur and the spine integument on the Styracosaur.

A lot of very large feet here though to be honest; proportionately, the feet on a lot of these dinosaurs are almost as long as the rest of the leg. For the Styracosaurus to open its mouth like that would require it to dislocate its jaw substantially, and I don't believe that was possible. The heads on Tyrannosaurus and Cryolophosaurus are small, and Cryolophosaurus didn't have a premaxillary notch in its jaw like Dilophosaurus.

For a point of reference with the thigh width, imagine the muscle attachment points at the anterior and posterior ends of the ilium; that will give you a good idea for width (and that the thighs generally taper ventrally).

Just my five cents.

I do know about the mouth of the Styracosaurus, and i´ll be sure to think about that on the next few ceratopsids i draw. I know that the Tyrannosaurs head is too small proportionally, but it takes quite long to draw the feathered theropods and i was quite happy with the head (other than its size). I´m not sure about the Cryolophosaurus head being too small though. Thanks for pointing out that it didn´t have a notch, but are we sure? As far as i remember we hadn´t found the "front" part of the skull, and reconstructions seem to indicate some form of notch?

http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2011/068/2/0/cryolophosaurus_skeletal_by_archosaurian-d1kjqx6.png

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/73/Cryolophosaurus_ellioti%2C_cast_of_head%2C_ROM.jpg

Though i´m probably wrong on that. Are you sure about the feet?

Anyways, thanks for the constructive critiscism, i´ll take what you said into account when i draw my next dinosaur :)

Here are a few new ones since my last post:

Austroraptor:

austroraptor_by_megabass22-d7trxqe.jpg

Stegoceras (quills added due to their "close" relationship with ceratopsians):

stegoceras_by_megabass22-d7trxej.jpg

And here´s one i´m especially proud of, a better version of "Clash of the Titans" featuring an adult Tyrannosaurus rex and a subadult Triceratops horridus:

clash_of_the_titans_by_megabass22-d7try1

I do know about the mouth of the Styracosaurus, and i´ll be sure to think about that on the next few ceratopsids i draw. I know that the Tyrannosaurs head is too small proportionally, but it takes quite long to draw the feathered theropods and i was quite happy with the head (other than its size). I´m not sure about the Cryolophosaurus head being too small though. Thanks for pointing out that it didn´t have a notch, but are we sure? As far as i remember we hadn´t found the "front" part of the skull, and reconstructions seem to indicate some form of notch?

http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2011/068/2/0/cryolophosaurus_skeletal_by_archosaurian-d1kjqx6.png

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/73/Cryolophosaurus_ellioti%2C_cast_of_head%2C_ROM.jpg

Though i´m probably wrong on that. Are you sure about the feet?

Anyways, thanks for the constructive critiscism, i´ll take what you said into account when i draw my next dinosaur :)

Hm yep well then you may be right :) I stand corrected. I haven't seen a Cryolophosaurus skull since the beginning of the year, so my memory is probably a little fuzzy.

I think with the feet the main issue is giving bipedal dinosaurs large supportive "pads", which doesn't really look natural. It's hard to find a picture that really accurately portrays what I'm talking about, since not a lot of paleoartists like doing side views, but this sort of gives an idea.

coelophysis-bauri-a-prehistoric-era-serg

Notice there isn't a big supportive "pad" at the back of the toes. This also illustrates the thigh width idea I was mentioning earlier, where it resembles a collection of muscles instead of being a flat slab that looks like it's been stuck on. I see that's improving in some of your recent works though :).

As far as perspective goes, that's a tricky thing to get down; I've never been good with perspective. Keep up the good work though :) one thing that might help is doing some research on skeletal musculature in dinosaurs, there are a lot of good studies/articles/illustrations out there that provide excellent material on that.

I'm drawing a few dromaeosaurids now, and i'll be sure to look into their musculature. There is a lot of skeletal restorations showing the pads, but you are right that they don't look natural, so hopefully i won't be doing more of those.

Thanks for the help :)

Finished the deinonychosaurs

and a few others :)

Deinonychus:

deinonychus_by_megabass22-d7vn1i7.jpg

Achillobator (mostly speculative):

achillobator_by_megabass22-d7vn142.jpg

Balaur:

balaur_by_megabass22-d7vn0p5.jpg

Troodon:

troodon_by_megabass22-d7vn1ar.jpg

Microraptor (possibly the best of the bunch):

microraptor_by_megabass22-d7vn1ou.jpg

And i also drew the new restoration of Spinosaurus:

spinosaurus_by_megabass22-d7vn1w4.jpg

And a Heterodontosaurus:

heterodontosaurus_by_megabass22-d7vn23a.

Definitely heading in the right direction with the pads; I think the main issue is with perspective: the actual pads weren't that big but from certain angles they can appear a lot bigger than they would in lateral aspect. You're definitely on the right track with the Microraptor and the right foot of the Heterodontosaurus.

This is as much a perspective thing as anything, but you might want to be careful with the Microraptor having its arms up like that; it can look like the arm is coming out of its back instead of attached at the shoulder. And finally just an opinion, you could probably put more feathers on your dromaeosaurs; don't be shy about covering them completely :)

Just my five cents

Here´s the skeletal restoration of Gallimimus that i´ll use for an upcoming drawing: http://static.squarespace.com/static/51bf1cd3e4b0a897bf54112b/51bf3928e4b09edc5f83d0af/51bf5cf9e4b01ba339787c3b/1382740622646/Gallimimus.jpg

I´ll try to get the "pads" to be the same relative size as the one in the picture :)

Yeah, though hopefully i managed to make people see that the arm is in fact in the right position considering the "longer feathers" (i don´t know what specific feathers are called, sorry :( ). Yeah, i have considered covering them completely, as you can observe on the dromaeosaurids, the only "uncovered" areas, are the hands (covered in some cases), and the feet (partially covered in some cases), and the snout. I´ll leave the part of the feet that actually touches the ground unfeathed for now, but i don´t really know about the snout, you rarely see dromaeosaurids with snouts covered in feathers (though one might argue that one rarely sees any dromaeosaurs :D ), and i´ll probably stick to that for now.

• 4 weeks later...

I´ve done a few more since my last update here :)

Lufengosaurus:

lufengosaurus_by_megabass22-d7xjb0q.jpg

Kentrosaurus:

kentrosaurus_by_megabass22-d7xjch8.jpgZuniceratops:

zuniceratops_by_megabass22-d7xjdor.jpg

A new Tyrannosaurus (based on the one in "Clash of the Titans #2"):

tyrannosaurus_by_megabass22-d7xjfui.jpg

Triceratops:

triceratops_by_megabass22-d7xjf5z.jpg

Oviraptor:

oviraptor_by_megabass22-d7xjh0w.jpg

At the moment i´m workin on a few more dinosaurs (such as the new Spinosaurus reconstruction and a Beipiaosaurus) and some non-dinosaurs (including the permian Platyhystrix).

If anyone wants to see a specific species i´d be happy to draw it :)

Constructive critiscism is always appreciated :)

• 4 weeks later...

Nice! I tend to find sauropods hard. Probably because I like to start with the head which is so small.

-Lyall

Actually, I would say Theropods got harder to properly reconstruct since many of the got feathers now.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Archived