Fossil Wood Slices Question:

Rodney

I have a request for someone that has good knowledge in fossil wood if they could take a look at several old microscope slides with these prepared fossil wood slices that go back into the 1800`s and list what they see or may know abought these pictures.

These are not my pictures so you would need to go to amateur microscope forum, and then go to the photo section, the album that has the fossil sections is listed under H. Lynk and should be the first 3 or 4 pictures.

You may have to join the forum to pull up photo`s but it may be worth the trip over.

I wouldn't say I know a lot about fossil wood, although I'd be interested in looking at the pictures. I don't have time to go searching the web for "amateur microscope forum" and trying to find the right pictures, however. Can you post a link to the page the pictures are on? That would be helpful.

Sorry, Rodney.

While the group looks like fun, and I am interested in seeing the slides, I have serious reservations about posting to a site that lists "Members cannot hide email address" on their front page among the group settings. I value my privacy, especially in public fora, and my email includes my name. I prefer the setup here!

If you can get permission to post the photos here, or invite the person who owns the photos to do so, then someone here may be able to help.

Good luck!

Sorry, Rodney.

While the group looks like fun, and I am interested in seeing the slides, I have serious reservations about posting to a site that lists "Members cannot hide email address" on their front page among the group settings. I value my privacy, especially in public fora, and my email includes my name. I prefer the setup here!

If you can get permission to post the photos here, or invite the person who owns the photos to do so, then someone here may be able to help.

Good luck!

I agree…. life’s too short!

It will depend to some extent on the degree of magnification provided on those specimens. It may be worth you reading Ed Strauss’s short article “The truth about Tertiary wood identification under under low (10x ) magnification”. The limitations are quite severe at 10X but the article also covers what becomes possible (or not) at higher magnifications:

http://www.stonecompany.com/fossils/plants/petrifiedwood/northwest/information.html

The link at the bottom of the page to Ed’s website is defunct… it’s now here:

http://www.evolvingearth.org/learnearthscience/sciencearticles0809identifypetrifiedwood.htm

Mike Viney’s site is also helpful, and his guide can be downloaded as a pdf file from here:

http://petrifiedwoodmuseum.org/Anatomy.htm

Roger

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew);Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who [Rudyard Kipling]