A Glossopteris-Flora Minor Element

paleoflor

Hi all,

During Permian times, the Glossopterids constituted the major/characteristic component of many Gondwanan floras. This certainly also holds for the floras of the Illawarra Coal Measures, from which I have a couple of plates. However, it doesn't mean no other plant types occurred in these Permian forests, of course, they are just less common. While examining one of my plates, I noticed something "different" and after a bit of cleaning, this is what I found. My very first specimen from a so-called Glossopteris-flora which is definitely not a Glossopterid species.

post-2676-0-82240900-1384353468_thumb.jpg

Probably, this is a partial frond of Neomariopteris, though I still have to double-check this preliminary ID (waiting for the library to provide me with the books I need - these are momentarily still in storage). Alternatively, it could be a Sphenopterid of some sort.

Just wanted to show this new "find",

Cheers,

Tim

Searching for green in the dark grey.

This is a terribly interesting find; so much of the Permian flora is a mystery to me, but there had to be much variety!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thanks Auspex. Permian floras are no exception to the general rule: plant fossils rock! :wub:

post-2676-0-33561100-1384366644_thumb.jpg Glossopteris ampla leaves from same plate

Edited by paleoflor

Searching for green in the dark grey.