Help With Bone Id

vmarsh

Antler, maybe?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Doesn't look like antler to me - it would be smaller than any but the most rare of antler fragments from Florida, And the pronounced longitudinal grooving is too marked and wide given the size of the fragment. A clearer picture of the broken base (photo all the way on the right) would help.

Rich

Edited by RichW9090

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

Doesn't look like antler to me - it would be smaller than any but the most rare of antler fragments from Florida, And the pronounced longitudinal gooring is too marked and wide given the size of the fragment. A clearer picture of the broken base (photo all the way on the right) would help.

Rich

I hope this will help. They are about as good as my camera gets.

post-13583-0-76764400-1384650738_thumb.jpg post-13583-0-09894600-1384650747_thumb.jpg post-13583-0-31615900-1384650752_thumb.jpg

Interestingly there is curvature in both the lateral and longitudinal axis of the fossil. The narrow branch is at 96 degrees off the primary branch. the lower end is 19mm x 15mm, upper end is 20mm x 12mm and the branch is 10mm x 8mm. I am assuming that this would be the proper orientation if it were an antler.

post-13583-0-30994600-1384652136_thumb.jpg

I gotta say antler was my first conclusion based on the features Rich described. Well water worn and polished as a beach find would be and very similar to river finds of the same size and configuration.

I would say antler as well. I have a piece or two similar to this one.

*NOT an expert.
I haven't a clue what I'm doing.
But I'm loving every minute of it.