Large Femur Type Fossil

SammyBinLaden

I have had this fossil in my garage for years now, I got it from one of my high school teachers. I don't have any idea what type of dinosaur this might be from or what part of the body it is. The fossil is cut and polished on two sides and is wet in this photo. The black spots on it are dried algae, left over from its days as a fish tank ornament. ;) I am most interested in finding out the approximate value, as I am in dire need of cash. ( the coin leaned against the fossil to show size is a U.S. quarter )

DSC01664.jpg

DSC01674.jpg

DSC01671.jpg

any info would be a great help as I have no knowledge of fossils what so ever

Cheers!

Looks like a slice of the distal end of a Femur rather than approximal. Species indeterminate.

Should slice into some nice polished material.

Value????

You might check on Ebay to see if you could find someone that sells polished pieces. That may be a resource to turn it.

v = 0.25 * g0.5 * SL1.67 * h-1.17

Do you have any information about where it was found? Without that, its identity (and its value other than that as lapidary material) will be vague at best.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Do you have any information about where it was found? Without that, its identity (and its value other than that as lapidary material) will be vague at best.

no idea where it was found. what is lapidary material? Are there stores where I could take this thing to sell, like a coin shop, but for fossils? how about a ball park value $100? $500? what would you pay for it?

no idea where it was found. what is lapidary material? Are there stores where I could take this thing to sell, like a coin shop, but for fossils?

"Lapidary materials" are the stones that are cut and poplished to display their beauty. Without any record of where it came from, your item's value will be for that (if it is pretty material that takes a good polish) or as aquarium decoration. You mentioned dinosaur in your inquiry; do you have some reason to believe that's what it is?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

no idea where it was found. what is lapidary material? Are there stores where I could take this thing to sell, like a coin shop, but for fossils? how about a ball park value $100? $500? what would you pay for it?

It is cool but I'm not sure how much market value it has without any history (where, when, etc.) Without that information it is just a really nice door stop. Not that I wouldn't mind having it since I don't have any dino material.

"Lapidary materials" are the stones that are cut and poplished to display their beauty. Without any record of where it came from, your item's value will be for that (if it is pretty material that takes a good polish) or as aquarium decoration. You mentioned dinosaur in your inquiry; do you have some reason to believe that's what it is?

I remember the man i got it from saying so. Please excuse my ignorance but I always assumed it true simply because of its size.

I remember the man i got it from saying so [that it was dino]. Please excuse my ignorance but I always assumed it true simply because of its size.

It appears to be agatized, and the polished end-cut shows some cell structure which is similar to some dino bone I've seen. Your best bet for turning it into cash is to sell it to a rock hound who cuts and polishes (or to a rock shop that caters to that crowd). Ebay would be another avenue to explore.

"agatized" does not equate to lapidary value. the color isn't good, the cell structure appears large, and the photos don't indicate whether there is any porosity or other issues rendering it worthless for cutting. it in no way appears to be "gembone" as preferred by cutters. it's value is whatever a willing buyer will give you for it that is an amount you will accept.

all i can find on ebay are slices of dino poop.

I meant you could try selling it on Ebay; $19.99 opening bid & let the market find the price.

Since all I got for Christmas was a crummy little sponge dinosaur in my stocking. (Lets not go there again)

I would pay you $20.00

v = 0.25 * g0.5 * SL1.67 * h-1.17

Since all I got for Christmas was a crummy little sponge dinosaur in my stocking. (Lets not go there again)

I would pay you $20.00

Livermore, California

cash and carry bud

Archived